No Such Thing As Safe

Chapter 5: No Such Thing As Safe

"This is going to be an embarrassment."

"This is going to be fun."

"Awful."

"Come on take my hand."

She rolled her eyes grabbing Sitka's hand swinging her leg over the horse. "This is an awful Idea."

"If you can kill a bird with a small heart, therefore small target, you can kill anything."

"Still an embarrassment of I miss." The girl groaned resting her chin on his shoulder.

He encouraged the horse to start moving, "you've barely started and you're better at it than Kenai who's been doing it since he was five."

"But I'm so older than him, so if I fail it's an embarrassment."

"A dang shame it will be then." She rolled her eyes as he laughed continuing down a trail. They rode about fifteen miles before letting the horse rest. Between the rugged hills and the weight of the two Cora agreed it was best to not wear the poor old thing down too much. She grabbed an apple out of her bag taking a big bite out of it offering a bit to Sitka. "No thanks." She nodded gnawing on the apple. "So main thing about a turkey is that you have to make you get in-"

"In front of them, check the wind. Then you have to make sure nothing obstructs your path finally book on the Ark."

He nodded with a soft chuckle. "What was it like, the Ark?" His eyes were filled with curiosity.

"It was like an arrow head, and the feathers. It was complex on the outside but taking a closer look it's actually pretty easy. There were different stations, such as farm station, Meca, each had their own job," She went on endlessly. She may not have gotten the best education but she knew a lot of useless things.

"What about you what was your job?" He questioned standing back up as the sun began to rise. The blonde did not appreciate the early hour wake up.

"Besides being an oxygen waster, I was training to join the guard. It wasn't ideal but I had to survive." She spoke carefully not to let to much out.

"Oxygen waster?" The pretty face questioned helping her up.

"Unlike the ground we didn't have an unlimited supply of air," she paused taking a deep breath for emphasis. "We had filtered, hand-me-down, oxygen-deprived air. "This stuff is SO much better.

"I see." Sitka chuckled

"Plus the fact that people took illegal space walks didn't help either." Her mind drifted to Finn. She had assumed he had burned in the fire with Bellamy. I would've only made sense, then again he could— No don't think like that it's dangerous.

"Space walks? You literally walked in space?" He huffed a smile mounting the horse.

"Not me, but yeah. They walked into the vast void of emptiness," she took his hand swinging a leg over.

"We're about ten minutes away assuming I go to the right place." She smiled wrapping her arms around his torso as they took off. In exactly nine minutes had they arrived at the feeding ground for the flock of turkeys. Silently, she slid off the horse drawing an arrow. Letting out a shallow breath she drew back with a small creek and fired, successfully taking down one. The others became aware and began to move. She fired another killing yet another meal. Seeing one unaware of it's fate she fired. "I am vaguely intimidated by your skill level."

The blonde turned with a smile, "I've been told that. I am very scary. Good to know that it's still true." She placed the bow over her shoulders. "You know on the ark, we would've killed for something like this.. Food up there was awful." The made their way into the small valley collecting their reward.