Chapter 6

“You don't love someone for their looks, or their clothes, or for their fancy car, but because they sing a song only you can hear.” 

― Oscar Wilde

Chapter 6

“We have to take this slowly, no rushing into anything head first. I’ve just come out of a relationship as have you, we’re young and don’t need to be seriously committed to something.” I say whilst glancing up from my steaming glass of skinny, caramel hot chocolate. The murmur of chatter envelopes us Aiden remains silent and simply nods at me whilst sipping on his smoothie. I turn to my right to catch a group of girls staring at me, when I look at them they turn away. I have a feeling it’s because of the differences between me and Aiden but I brush it off. He reaches for my hand and places it in his.

“I know this won’t be easy, people will say things, throw comments at us and question our relationship. I understand that you’ve just come out of a relationship and I’m not saying we have to label what we have at the moment because to be perfectly honest, I’m not sure what it is we share. All I know is that when I’m around you I just want to spend every second of the day in your company. Like I said before, there’s no rush we can date and get to know each other a little more first.”

“Don’t make me regret giving you a chance pretty boy.” I say as we both slide out of our chairs and walk towards the exit and into his car. “Are we going home?” I question whilst he starts the engine.

“Nope, I decided we’d go to Manchester, maybe shop for a little, get something to eat then head back.” He replies.

“Oh thanks for asking my opinion on the matter, I don’t have my bag or my purse or anything so we need to go back.” I insist.

“Let’s think of it as our first date, because I am such a gentleman I’ll pay for everything.” He shuts me up by turning the radio on and turning the volume up so my protests fall upon deaf ears.

I roll my eyes, and take my shoes off putting my feet up on the dashboard. I remember coming to Manchester every weekend with Adam, once he passed his driving test and his parents bought him a car, we’d be out every weekend. Memories of the two of us walking hand in hand in the centre, stopping every now and then for a cheeky kiss came to mind. I swallowed the lump in my throat as those memories are replaced by the everlasting one of me walking into his house to see him with another girl wrapped around him.

“Aiden, do you mind if we just head home, I’m not feeling up to going out, maybe we can go somewhere closer to home instead?”  I ask my eyes starting to flood with tears.

“What’s wrong with Manchester? We’re nearly there anyway, give or take 15 minutes.” He replies with his eyes transfixed on the road ahead. I reach for a tissue from the back of the car and wipe my tears. He looks up and concern floods his eyes, he pulls over on the side of the road and switches the engine off.

“What’s up?” he asks whilst reaching over to caress my face. I smile and lean into his big hand.

“Nothing, well it is something but it’s really silly. It’s just that Manchester reminds me of my ex and the memory of him cheating on me. I know it shouldn’t bother me but it’s too upsetting to face.” I whisper, tears rolling down my cheeks. He wipes them away and smiles with a sympathetic look on his face.

“Hey, it’s okay. I do understand babe. We don’t have to do anything unless you want to, and that doesn’t just refer to the places we go. I’ll turn round at the next junction and we can head back home, we’ll pop in to Tesco, get some stuff and I’ll cook.” He leans forward and places a kiss on my now wet and patchy cheek.

I’m such a mess, crying in front of a boy who I have just started seeing, blubbering on about my ex-boyfriend and practically coercing him into changing his plans by feeling sorry for me. I open my eyes and yawn rather loudly causing Aiden to face me with a gorgeous smile on his face. I smile back and rub the back of my hands on my eyes, adjusting to the lack of light. I glance at the dashboard and the time reads 17:15, obviously December is round the corner since it is already dark outside. The streetlights flicker on and off as Aiden drives into the local supermarket.

“What do you fancy?” he asks whilst parking his car into the desolate car park.

“I fancy you or are you not on the menu tonight?” he laughs at my random reply and takes his seatbelt off and tugs at my legs on the dashboard so they are placed on either side of his thigh.

“I meant for food, what do you fancy eating, as in food not anything else.” I laugh heartily with him.

“I don’t mind anything, instead of cooking let’s just get a takeaway, we’ll have more time to get to know each other too, and I’d like some Chinese tonight.” I say and he nods along.

 Once we pull up outside my house I see my mums’ car in the driveway. The only thing on my mind is what the hell she is going to say about Aiden, I consider going over to his aunt’s house but by the time I open my mouth my door is open and Aiden is waiting patiently beside it for me to get out. I see her bedroom light on and hope swells within me-maybe I could just sneak him into my room? The hope shatters as I see the light glowing in her bedroom fade out and the kitchen lights being turned on. I’m snapped out of my trance by a tug on my arm, only then do I realise I’m inside my porch. My heart beats faster as Aiden drops my arm and entwines his fingers with mine. I’m screwed. I probably won’t even end up losing my virginity because I’ll be dead by the time my dad finds out about Aiden and I. What a sad life. 

comment/vote/fan