Prologue: Broken

Catch Me If I Fall

Prologue: Broken

Ruben's eyes took in Raina's body, her beautiful, broken form laying still on the rocks below.

Then he cried out, his voice a hoarse cry, the tone the definition of emotion.

"RAINA!"

He wanted to vault over the rocky edge of the cliff, to land beside her... Maybe the last thing before he fell would be the dark, swirling waters of the ocean... Or maybe the storm clouds above, crying freshwater tears onto them, his own hot, wet tears being caught up in the trail of raindrops heading into his brown hair.

Before he could move, a hand was on his shoulder, long, dirty nails digging into his shirt and pulling him slightly away.

"Ruben."

He looked up, and saw eyes of red and pure white hair, soft as snow. The girl's face held no emotion, as if it didn't know feeling.

"Go away," he said, his bitterness, denial, and anger painting his voice. "This is your fault."

"Yes," she responded, not fazed by the conviction in his tone, or the glare in his hazel eyes. "It is."

His hands dug into the dirt, his fingers slicing open as sharp stones dug into them. He flung a handful of rocks, sand, and seashells at her, then let his rage overwhelm him.

Ruben screamed and cursed, yelled and accused. Every handful of sediment he threw hit an invisible shield, then slid back to the dirt.

He finally lifted his grimy hands to his face, and burst into sobs. His body shook. He was wrong, he was so, so wrong.

The girl leaned forward and put her hand on his head.

"Ruben," she said again, and he cut her off.

"I couldn't... I couldn't catch her." He looked at her, tears still caught in the corner of his eyes. The grime of his hands was stuck to his face, covering his sunkissed skin with an almost black color. "I couldn't... I've always been a t-t-terrible catch..."

• • •

I am indeed rewriting Catch Me If I Fall, because I like the idea.

Please comment and tell me what you think!!