Chapter 48

A/N: I've read all your comments and I have decided to continue this story! ^-^ It's been a long time since I updated so my memory is kinda foggy about what happened and stuff so please don't blame me too much if something is weird and make sure to say something to me about it so I can fix it!

***

Sadie's POV

"Doctor, I'll do the surgery," I said. "The liver transplant surgery for Stacy Taylor."

He looked up from the papers in his hands and asked, "And what exactly is your relationship with the patient?"

"I'm someone who can save her life," I answered vaguely. Before I revealed my true identity, I wanted to see if it would be possible for a win win situation even though I was just being hopeful.

"Miss, you have to have a direct relationship with the patient in order to be a donor. For example, like if you were her granddaughter or something. It's against the hospitals regulations and the law for someone with no blood relation to the patient to be a donor."

"I'm.." He looked at me impatiently, tapping his pen on the table in a rhythmic beat. "I'm her daughter!" I burst out at last. "She's my mother. I have to save her, you have to let me save her. You have to!" I pleaded.

His brow furrowed in confusion and took out a file from a drawer. "You said Stacy Taylor? Do you have the right person? On her personal information, it says that her only daughter, a Ms. Sadie Taylor, has passed about 2 years ago."

"I'm Sadie! I'm her daughter! I didn't die!" I waved my hands frantically in the air as if that would erase everyone's memory of my supposed 'death'. "Something happened 2 years ago and I had to go into hiding. I'll gladly explain to you and anyone else later, but right now, I want to hear that my mom will have the surgery. That she will live."

The doctor looked at me skeptically. I could see the internal struggle in his eyes, debating whether to trust my words or not. I prayed that he would and waited nervously for his response.

"We'll first have to test you and see if your liver is compatible with your mother's. If that's a green light then we'll have the transplant surgery scheduled as soon as possible," he explained.

I was about to open my mouth to thank the man for believing my extremely doubtful story, he continued to speak. "I'll do all that on two conditions.. uh, Ms. Sadie. I need to hear your story right now, at this moment. And if I can believe it, I want you to go to the police and tell them it. You have to clear this misunderstanding of yours up otherwise your mother won't be able to have the surgery. As much as I want your mother to live, the hospital has its own rules." He gave me a sad smile. "Your mother can hold up for at most a week. You need to take care of this by..." He picked up the calendar on his desk and continued, "since today is Tuesday, let's have the deadline by Thursday."

I nodded and grabbed his hands. "Thank you so much, Doctor!" He nodded back and then I proceeded by telling him my story.

***

The local police station was busy even this early in the morning when I pushed open the doors. No one paid attention to me as I walked inside with looking like a lost puppy. I searched for an officer who was not busy doing something bur when I finally spotted one, I hesitated.

Would they even believe me? Just because Doctor Kim, the doctor I spoke to earlier, believed me, it doesn't mean the rest of the world would. Why if they didn't believe me? What was I going to do then? I would have to try anything to convince it was the truth, that's what. Failure was not an option here. My mom's life was on the line here.

I tsked at myself for the hesitation and walked toward the currently preoccupied officer. It was a woman dressed in a simple t-shirt and jeans with Nikes. Her brunette colored hair was tied up in a bun and she saw me approach her.

"Hello, how may I help you today?" she asked me with a friendly smile.

"I'd like to report something," I said. "It happened about 2 years ago and I hope its not too late for you to do something. A person named Amanda attempted to kill me by trapping me in a car on a railroad track so then a train would kill me on impact. I managed to get out in time and went into hiding. I went by Angela Young after what happened but I'm actually Sadie. Sadie Taylor."

"Wow this sounds like something that could have come from a drama, seriously!"

"Yeah I know right, but that's what happened to me. You do believe me, right?" I asked.

"Even if I didn't believe your story, I would still start an investigation. Let me-"

Someone suddenly grabbed onto my shoulder and forced me to turn around. I gasped as I felt my body whirl around and my eyes widened. "A-Adam?"

"Is it really you, S-Sadie?" he asked with grief stricken eyes.

I found myself speechless, unable to answer him. I had just confessed who I was less than a minute ago and here I am, finding it hard to say it again to person who had stolen my heart. "I-I..."

"Hey Adam! What are you doing here?" the female officer greeted him with a grin. "It's been a long time!"

His eyes did not leave me when he replied, "I.. uh, came to invite you to my wedding. Thought maybe we could grab lunch or something afterwards too."

"Dude! When did you even get engaged?" she playfully punched him in the shoulder. I felt like a third wheel standing there and could not help but feel a pang of jealously at the same time. Who was she to him?

"Jules, who is this lady here?" Adam asked, still looking at me.

"Oh her! She came to report something to me," Jules brushed his question off with a simple reply. "Sadie, right? I'll open a file on your case once I finish this with my friend here. Why don't you wait over there?" She pointed to an empty seat by an extremely messy desk.

"S-sure." I pushed his hand away as the wires in my brain thought of what to do with Adam. He just heard that I was Sadie? Should I confess and explain? Or should I make an excuse? I'm just not ready to talk with him yet. I didn't want him to do anything reckless, like breaking off his engagement. I couldn't be selfish. I have to think of Emma and all she did for me- taking me into her house completely oblivious of my past with him. I can't betray her. I can't hurt her either.

"Stop," he called out. I obeyed as an instinct and heard him walk up from behind me. I felt his embrace and it felt like home. I wanted to let him, so badly. I wanted to be in his arms again.

"I missed you so much Sadie," he murmured into my hair. "Tell me what happened to you."