Chapter 20

Adam's POV

When I arrived at work today, I was in a good mood. This weekend was one of the best ones I've ever had. The date with Sadie went extremely well in my opinion. Although it was out of fear, I got some hugs out of her. I couldn't help but grin at the thought of Sadie. I couldn't wait to see her today. Maybe I'll tease her about our date? Or should I make her get me coffee again?

I was about to walk right past the front desk, right past clingy Amanda, when I heard her high pitched squeal.

"Adam!!" The click clacks of her heels caught up to me. She slyly slipped her hand into mine. "Why didn't you say hi?? I missed you so much!! Did you miss me?" she pouted and stuck out her chest.

I took a step back and slip my hand out of hers. I rubbed the hand she touched onto my pants, as if she had germs and had contaminated me. To my dismay, she took another step closer and placed her manicured hands onto my chest.

"Ohhh playing hard to get??" She used one of her fingers and traced it up and down my chest. "Come on babe, I thought we were past this stage," she flirted. She leaned in to kiss me but I dodged her lips. I took another step back and held my hands back to stop her from advancing.

"That's enough Amanda. We were never a couple. Never was. Never will," I said. I turned toward the elevators and was about to walk forward when she said something that made me stop in my tracks.

"Aren't you going to look for Sadie?" she asked.

I thought Sadie was already at work. She usually arrived before me. A scary thought formed in my head. Did Amanda do something to her? "What did you do to her?!?" I burst out angrily. "If you lay a finger on her, you'll regret it." I glared at her threateningly.

To my surprise, she smiled. "Aw how sweet. I guess you really care for her.. it's too bad she's-" she started to say.

"Where is she!!" I demanded. I could feel the veins in my neck bulging.

Amanda stood there a few minutes, not saying a thing. But then she finally revealed that Sadie ran out several minutes ago. Amanda didn't say what happened, and if she did, I must've not heard it because I was already out the door.

I reached the crosswalk and looked desperately for Sadie. I let out a sigh of relief when I saw her across the street. But it broke my heart when I saw what condition she was in. She was kneeling on the ground. Her brown hair was all over the place. Her hands were covering her face. I could tell she was crying. I wanted to cross the street so badly, but the light was red. I stared helplessly as the girl I cared so deeply about, sobbed in pain.

"Sadie!" I cried. Please look at me, I pleaded. I need to see that you're okay. I waited for her to look up, but she didn't. I called her again. "Sadie!"

A pair of swollen eyes met mine. Her face was tear stained and red. But when she saw me, a tiny smile formed on her face. I held out my hand to signal her to stay put.

The light turned green and I rushed across the street. I ran to Sadie and pulled her into a hug. For once, she hugged me back. She wrapped her arms around my waist and sobbed. I let her have a moment to let it all out, before I gently picked her up in my arms and walked back across the street.

I took out my car keys and unlocked my car. I opened the passenger seat and carefully placed her on the seat. I clicked on the seat belt and shut the door. I walked over to the driver side and got in. I started the engine and drove out of the parking lot.

An hour later, I pulled into the driveway of my house. I looked over and saw that Sadie had fallen asleep. She was frowning and a tear rolled down her cheek. I wiped it away and lightly kissed her on the cheek. I got out of the car and went over to the passenger side. I picked her up and brought her inside my house. I carried her upstairs and tucked her in my bed. Hopefully she'll feel better when she wakes up.