Chapter 26

Sadie stared wide-eyed at Amanda in astonishment. She opened her mouth to deny it, but Detective James beat her to it.

"I already know which one of you is Amanda Smith. I'm not stupid. With just one click of a button, I can see all of your personal information on the computers at the police station. And along with that, there's also a picture," he revealed. "I was simply testing to see if you were a honest person."

Detective James then shook his head side to side and added, "You failed that test by the way."

If it was even possible, it looked like Amanda's face turned even paler.

"I-I don't want to go to jail!" Amanda stammered.

"If you're innocent, you won't be going anywhere, but-"

"But?" she asked nervously.

"If you did cause that accident to happen, there is a possible chance of spending time in jail. The jail time could be from 5 months to a year," he said in a serious voice.

A gasp escaped from Amanda's lips. "That's preposterous!" she exclaimed.

"That's the law," Detective James replied.

All of a sudden, Amanda's face twisted into anger. Her face was no longer ghostly pale, it was red with fury. Her nostrils were flaring, hands clenched into fists. "This is all your fault Sadie!" she glared at Sadie angrily.

"How?" Sadie asked innocently. Her calm demeanor surprised not only me, but Amanda too.

"How??" she mocked. "If you weren't sticking around Adam like a piece of gum, I wouldn't have done it!!!"

"Done what?" Sadie provoked. I knew she was trying to get Amanda to admit her crime.

"I wouldn't have asked Sam to hit you with a truck!" she confessed unknowingly. "And I thought you were smart!" she added.

"Well ladies, that was enough for me to hear," Detective James interrupted. "Amanda Smith, you are now under arrest for ordering someone to hit Sadie Taylor with a car," he stated officially. He took out a pair of handcuffs from his pocket and walked over to Amanda.

When Amanda saw that, she only just realized what she did. She stood speechlessly, frozen in place as the handcuffs were clasped onto her wrists.

The next few moments flew by quickly. Detective James thanked us for our time and headed over to the front door with Amanda in front him.

"Hold on!" someone called out. Both of them stopped and turned around to see who it was.

It was Sadie.

"I have something for you," Sadie said mysteriously. She raised her hand up and slapped it across Amanda's cheek.

A deafening silence filled the room.

"That was for slapping me before. For being such a bully in high school. For getting me hit by a car. For ruining my life." She didn't wait for Amanda to react and walked back over to the couch and sat down.

No one said anything. Not even the detective. He thanked us again and walked out the door.

Once the front door was shut, Mrs. Taylor sighed, "I would've never imagined that this girl would be capable of doing such a thing." She walked over to Sadie and sat down beside her. "How are you taking this, sweetie? You feeling okay?" she asked in concern.

After slapping Amanda, Sadie was quiet the rest of the time. I was glad that Mrs. Taylor asked because I was starting to worry about her silence.

"I'm fine mom, just tired I guess," she assured. "I'm going to go to my room. Goodnight," she added.

Mrs. Taylor nodded, "Goodnight."

I watched Sadie get up and walk in the direction of her room. Knowing that there would be nothing be awkwardness between me and Mrs. Taylor, I excused myself and followed after her.

Her room door was closed. I knocked on it several times but there was no answer every time. I began to panic. Scary thoughts played in my head. What if she was so upset with what the Sam guy did that she decided that she didn't want to live anymore? What if she ....? Questions starting with those three words filled my head.

My hand reached over to the doorknob and I slowly turned it. I expected it to be locked. But to my surprise, it wasn't. I pushed the door gradually and quietly walked in.

"Hello? Sadie? Are you here?" I asked. I looked around the room and didn't see her anywhere. Everything in her room looked the same as the last time I came. I was about to turn around and leave when I heard the water running.

Oh. I forgot. There was a bathroom in here. She must be showering.

Things became even more awkward when Sadie suddenly walked out with only a thin white towel wrapped around her body. Her hair was tied into a bun with the ends of it slightly wet. She didn't see me at first, but when she did... man she was so shocked.