Chapter 11

I have mixed emotions about this chapter, I don't know if I like it.

++++++++++

I breathed deeply as I pushed the door open. Everyone in the hall was staring at me, and I hated it. Usually nobody paid any attention to me. That is unless people were watching me getting beat up in the middle of what resembled a mosh pit, except I was the only one who got hurt. My gaze hovered over all the people with their mouths either agape or whispering to their friends. I sighed and kept walking with my head down, trying to shut out the people looking.

I was at my locker, and today I buried my head in it even more than usual. I felt a small tap on my shoulder making me spin around. Grace was standing there, and even she was shocked. Now I was nervous, because her opinion was the only one that mattered to me.

"Marcel?" She wondered, flabbergasted. "Where are your glasses?"

"I'm wearing my contacts", I answered.

Grace was with me all day, yesterday. She left at around 21-ish, making it too late to go to my optician, so I had to settle for my contacts. Even Anne was shocked when I came down the stairs in the morning. I haven't used them since I was around 7, when the bullying about my eyes began. Grace narrowed her eyes and came closer, resulting me back up against me locker.

"I'm not going to bite", she laughed. "I just want to look." She leaned in so close that she had to steady herself with her arm on the locker behind me.

"Beautiful. Just like the last I saw them."

I called my optician. He said he wouldn't have new glasses done for me until up to 2 weeks. I would have to live with the contacts, glares and whispers. During the entire day I had had people stare at me, gossiping about me. Rumours were being spread about me, all of which were not true. Some of them said that I was trying to get popular, and some of them said I was seeking attention. In reality, that was the last thing I wanted to do.

I kept a low profile on the way back from school, not making eye contact with anyone. To be honest I felt really exposed. I've always been hidden behind those huge glasses. Now I felt like more people could get to me, and I'm not going to lie - I feel scared.

"Marcel!" The only voice that could calm my nerves, calls. I turn around and for the first time today I make direct contact with her.

"Hi, Grace", I answer.

"Where are you going?"

"Shopping center. Have to meet up with my optician for an eye check."

"Can I come?" She asked, touching my arm.

"I-if you want to." I always hot nervous when she touched me. She nodded and we walked together hand in hand. Sometimes I wonder what she thinks of hand-holding. To her it seems like quite a natural thing. She holds hand with almost everyone, but she still manages to make me feel special.

++++++++++

"Marcel?" Grace spoke as she licked her ice cream cone.

"Mhm."

"Don't you have any other clothes?" She started, while tugging on my knitted vest. "I always see you in these."