Martin did as they said and traveled on the boundary of the forest and lake while keeping watch on the trees. Though it was not the trees he should have been looking toward.   A pressure on his chest was the first clue and then it tightened until he was in a hold that could not have been broken. A slim cased tentacle was secured around him and heaved him into the frigid water below. Martin had time to draw one small breath before he was plunged into the black depths. Pain laced his body and he could feel the air getting squeezed out of him.

Martin felt a stabbing pain in his leg as something bit into him. He felt as if it were tearing his leg apart. He let out a gasp, unintentionally letting out the rest of his air. The pressure was too much. His lack of air was causing him to panic and Martin could feel his systems shutting down. A glimmer of light gleamed before him and he felt the pressure lessen but he could not keep the darkness away any longer to see his salvation.

An unbearable pain pulled Martin back to the real world. Martin looked around him for any sign of the one who helped him but he found nothing. Now he was surrounded by trees and could view neither the meadow nor the lake. Slowly rising up, he cried out in agony. He looked to see a gash running the length of his left leg. Wincing in pain, he slowly treaded along. He stumbled and fell onto the rough packed dirt. The pain was shrouding his mind again. That is when the massive forms came upon him. The giants… That must mean I made it. “Faith…”

Melanie sat in her room and could not stop the worry that engulfed her. Where is Martin? He cannot be hurt! Please! If the Femme Fatale is real then help my dear brother! And what about Charity… She had meet with Charity again since returning to the small town. Her brother had sent her letter after letter speaking of his love for this woman. Melanie did not have the fondest memory of the woman when she had left but now Charity seemed changed. Martin cannot be taken from us so soon. Tears cascaded down her face.

“My dear, everything will be fine.” Her husband, Caleb, came to her side. She shook her head. No it will not…

“I am worried for my brother. I could not bear it if something has happened to him. You cannot imagine everything he has done for me.” Her voice was broken from the tears.

“Please, tell me everything that happened. I know why you left but you have never told me the entire story.” She knew Caleb would never turn away from her because of her past mistake, after all, he already knew about what had occurred, just not the particulars. But to tell him of the worst mistake in her life… The memories swarmed to the forefront of her mind, encasing her in the past.

          Victor had been extremely attentive to her and she had considered herself in love. His handsome face and captivating eyes beguiled her. Martin had warned her numerous times that he was a scoundrel but she could not see it. His charming ways wooed her and she had made her decision. She was going to marry him. He had invited her over for a special dinner. Melanie was shaking with excitement as she dressed in her most eye-catching dress. It was a cream yellow with a flower pattern on the skirt. She wasted no time rushing over to Victor’s home.

          “I was not sure you were going to come,” Victor said as he answered the door.

          “What would make you think I would not?” She replied with a smile on her face. “If it was Martin that put such doubts in your head, let your mind rest in ease. I care not what he thinks. I love you!” Victor took her hand and led her into the grand house.

          “Then prove your love to me,” Victor’s silky smooth voice washed over her.