Chapter 3

Faith slowly rose from her bed. The sun had set and her family had settled down for the night. Trying her best to be quiet, she pulled on her dressing gown. Pulling open her shutters she crawled out the window. Normally she wouldn’t dream of acting so inappropriately but she didn’t care at the moment. Tonight was her night. She hurried toward the forest’s edge and ducked under the low-hanging branches. She had been in the forest enough to know how to get back to the place she had been that first night. At first it was a wish that he would be there but she soon learned she would never see him again. Now she goes there to think.

She settled down on a tree stump. There was a chill in the air and Faith forced a shiver away. She thought back to the day her life changed. It was still clear in her mind.

The morning before the influenza hit the village was one of those perfect mornings. Grace, her mother, was in the kitchen making breakfast and her father was playing with Patience and Charity on the floor with the new puppy they had gotten. She and Hope were sneaking in to try and scare their father.

“Daddy!” They cried out in unison. He swung around and laughed as they ran into his arms. It was one of those ideal family moments. Grace soon called everyone to the table to eat. That is when it happened.

“Grace, darling, you look pale. Are you feeling well?” Her father inquired softly. The words had hardly left his mouth when she fell. All the girls screamed out.

“Momma? Momma! Wake up!” Charity screeched. Charity was the oldest, twelve years old, and Patience was eleven. Hope and Faith were only nine. Their father carried Grace down the hall into their room. By that night Hope had come down with the same illness, along with ten others in the town. 

“Hope, you have to get better,” Faith’s voice squeaked out. She tried to keep the tears back but seeing her twin and their mother pale white and the sound of their racking coughs was too much.

“I will Fay. Don’t worry about me.”

“Faith, my baby girl, there is no reason to cry.” Grace’s claming voice soothed Faith.

The next three days were horrible. Faith didn’t leave Hope’s side. Nothing worked; nothing stopped the coughing or the fevers. When Faith woke up that fifth morning she was faced with a nightmare even her dreams couldn’t conjure.

“Hope? Wake up,” Faith muttered shaking her sister. When she didn’t respond Faith tried again. “Hope, sissy, you have to wake up. Sissy!”  There was still no response. Faith reached out and felt the ice cold skin. She might not have witnessed death before but she knew. “Daddy! Daddy, come help!”

“Faith, go outside.” But Faith didn’t want to go outside. She ran into her mother’s room, and saw what she dreaded. She had lost them both.

That fateful morning had changed everything Faith had known, and that night had changed everything Faith had feared.

A feeling of another presence crept over Faith making her turn around. The moon was full and gave off enough light to see the hulking figure huddling behind the bushes. Usually Faith would be frightened but there was something about this person. His eyes, they were a swirling gray. It’s him.

“Who are you?” She spoke hesitantly, afraid that at any moment he would disappear, but he didn’t. He remained still, there was no movement or any type of indication he even heard her. She yearned to go over to him but somehow knew that would be a mistake. “Please, do I know you?”

He ignored her questioning. “Why are you out here alone? Do you not know how dangerous it is? The Beast that haunts these woods could easily kill you.” His voice was like sweet liquor, Faith felt as if she could melt listening to it.

“If there is such a beast, he could easily kill you as well. You have no weapons on you. And, besides, I have come into the forest many times. If the lord of the forest hasn’t decided to do away with me yet then I have my doubts he will.”

“You do not believe in the beast?” The smooth lilt in his voice sent a warm sensation through Faith.

“I believe there are dangerous animals but I have no reason to believe in a raving monstrous creature that stalks all that enter the woods. You never answered my question. Who are you?” Faith tried again.

“I am no one of consequence.”

“Only people of consequence say that.”

A small chuckle reached Faith’s ears. “Adam.”

“Faith. Now are you going to remain hidden behind those bushes all night? I promise I don’t bite.”  That seemed to hit a nerve. He shifted uncomfortably and turned away from her.

“One would hardly think of you as a threat.” Faith didn’t miss the condescending tone.

“Don’t judge on appearances. You never know. I could surprise you.” Faith shocked herself with her forwardness. She was never so open around men, though much of the men in her acquaintance were… less than honorable. Adam’s low, rumbling laugh rolled over Faith. 

“You already have.” With that Adam was gone. What did he mean? How have I surprised him?

Adam had watched her from the shadows and was shocked when she had called out to him. At first he didn’t think she was speaking to him but she looked right into his eyes. And he didn’t change back. How could that be? How could she have seen me? Perhaps she didn’t, maybe she just heard me. But he was sure he didn’t make a sound. Her soft voice was uncertain but then she became more confident as their conversation progressed. She doesn’t believe in me. If saw ever saw me I would terrify her. Disappointment overcame Adam. She would hate the very sight of me.

Adam walk toward the palace. He had lived so long in gloom and despair, he didn’t know how to live any differently but he wanted to. What would it be like to be human again, to have a real life and his kingdom back? He could hardly imagine.

“He is trying!” Madam Lenora’s high pitched voice carried as Adam walked in through the side door, not in the mood for an audience.

“If he were truly trying we would be back to normal by now! It’s been tow and a half centuries! Accept it. He will never change.  He will always be the spoiled brat that would strike out at anyone whenever we didn’t serve him fast enough.” Ralph’s nasally voice spoke out. A red fury overwhelmed Adam. HOW DARE HE!!!! Adam stormed into the room and threw Ralph across the corridor. Ralph slammed into the wall and limply fell to the floor.

“Adam!” Lenora’s outraged voice echoed down the hall. Everyone was still and not a breath could be heard.  Without one look toward the crowd in the room, Adam stormed to his chambers. Adam knew he possibly killed that man. But he wasn’t sorry for it.  I am a beast and shall live as one for the rest of time.

PLease PLease comment and vote!!! Thank you!!