The Smile On His Face

Tonight was only one of your worldwide tour along with your band and Fall Out Boy. All of you were asleep when suddenly you woke up in the middle of the night, scared with your heart beating so loud that you could pull it out of your chest, so you decided to just go down and have yourself a cup of coffee.

As your feet touched the floor of the hotel you were in, a bright light coming from a smartphone blinded your still-sleepy eyes. Once you got to the last step, you took a peek at where it was coming from.

Patrick was sprawled on a couch, a few empty cups of coffee on the table, a blanket covering half of his body, the clothes he was wearing during the show were still on, his hair was a mess and his fedora was nowhere in sight.

"What are you doing here?" you asked as his head shot up. "Aren't you supposed to be sleeping?"

He yawned, rubbing his eyes. "I'm fine. Really. How about you? Why are you awake this early?"

"I woke up because of a nightmare. No biggie though." You started making your way towards the kitchen when you heard him mumble something under his breath. "Excuse me?"

"I said, 'you're lucky your nightmares stay in your dreams.'" He shifted a little in the couch before returning his eyes to his phone.

"Why? Don't yours stay there too?" you inquired. He shook his head as you pressed the button to brew your beverage down.

He sighed. "They don't. And so do your fears. They don't stay in your head," his grip on his phone tightened, "they become true."

You finished brewing your coffee when you walked to the couch. "Patrick, please tell me what's happening. I hate seeing you like this."

He shook his head before his eyes flicked back to the damned gadget he was holding. "It's none of your business. It's not like you would care anyway."

You took a sip from the cup and put it down. "I do and I will. You're my friend, that's my purpose."

A whole moment of silence fell upon the both of you before you heard a sniffle come from the man.

"Are you okay?" you asked. He ignored your inquiry as more tears shed down his pale face. "Patrick, what's wrong?"

"I don't know. Just bring me to bed, please. I'm a failure," he mumbled. You were about to argue against his theories about himself but figured that it might only make the situation worse. You pulled him up with you as you led him to your room. "Wait, what are you doing?"

"I'm not going to let you sleep in your suite all alone. You're sleeping in my bed tonight."

He raised his eyebrow. "But how are you going to sleep? I can't just take your bed away from you like that because of some stupid problem I have."

"Yes, you can. Now, take your shoes off, make yourself comfortable, go rest and get ready for tomorrow. The Young Bloods wouldn't want to see you all tired and dull during your performance." You made him rest in your bed and do as told as you covered your blanket on him and made sure he was comfortable. You started walking towards the direction of the couch in your room when he pulled your forearm back, catching your attention.

"(Y/N), please sleep next to me. I can't stand being alone tonight."

You were blushing, but because of the dark aura in the room, it wasn't visible. "Sure."

You laid beside him as he snaked his arms on your body, pulling you close as if you were going to disappear if he didn't. He started crying while his tears stained your pillows but you didn't mind. The feeling of him wanting to embrace you was a personal sign that he needed someone beside him at that moment, and the only person who could accomplish that was you.

"Thank you, (Y/N). I'm sorry if I caused any trouble. I'll try to put myself back together," he whispered in a sincere tone. You just breathed in, smelling the faint effect of his perfume.

The next morning, you woke up alone. You recalled what happened last night as your eyes wandered your room, tracing for any clue where Patrick may be.

You started making your way down the stairs where Andy was on the couch while banging his drumsticks against it, Joe randomly punched Pete in the arm for no reason while your band members were playing video games. The smell of freshly-cooked pancakes lingered across the room as everyone started greeting you good morning. Curiously, you went in the kitchen and saw Patrick with an apron on, flour across his face while trying to decorate the pancake he just cooked. You giggled at the sight which caught his attention.

"Hey, (Y/N)!" he greeted as he looked up and scrunched his nose. He was wearing the same pair of pajamas in his first Instagram selfie (which you figured he managed to slip into while you were sleeping for a comfortable night) with his glasses half-covered also in flour. You smiled and walked towards him, observing his movements. "I made breakfast for all of us."

You eyed the pancakes. They looked half-burnt, but didn't look bad. It was obvious that he put his heart and soul into this. "Not bad, Pat."

He pouted at you. "First, that's Joe's meme. Second, my name isn't Pat!"

You laughed it off. "Alright, small chef. Go show them your creation!"

He rolled his eyes playfully as he made his way to the living room where everyone started eating (except for Andy, who was just staring because the damned pancakes had eggs). You made your way to the table, but Pete pulled you in one corner. He looked threateningly serious.

"Look, (Y/N), I saw what you did last night," he breathed in, "and that was the sweetest thing you've ever done to him. He hasn't been sleeping for the past two weeks and hasn't smiled, let alone make us breakfast."

"What did I do wrong?" you asked.

"Nothing," he reassured you with a smile. "I'm just so happy seeing him happy again. All that because of you."

You raised your eyebrows in confusion. "Why was he sad? What happened?"

Pete sighed. "Elisa filed divorce against him because of him always being away on tour. She took full custody of Declan and it left him with nothing. He's been down about it for weeks."

You gasped. "That's horrible."

"It is. I just wanted to thank you for bringing that smile back to his face. I really appreciate it."

"You're welcome."

The both of you walked back to where they were eating and, as Pete told, Patrick's smile never left his face as long as you were around.