Chapter 28

"I got Tejesh to confess! You can't deny that," argued Sagar looking at the face of every member sitting around the table with anticipation.

The team sat around a shining round wooden table with a glass top which hosted several steaming dishes spread across the table. The circumference of the table- around the table sat the Crime Control squad with their family. Vikram, his wife Shilpa and his daughter Diya; Heera and her two sons; they were the ones with the family. Agastya, Charith, Sagar and Ruby- being single weren't accompanied by anyone. Vedant and Shakti gave the team dinner a miss. Everyone was dressed in their best bringing up the celebration spirit. It wasn't the habit of the team to celebrate lavishly at the end of every case. But this case was something special for them with the inclusion of the deadline and the involvement of several high profile people and cases. In addition to solving their case, they had solved or say brought about new evidence to an old case too, forcing the court to reconsider their previous judgment.

"That's unfair. Each and everyone had a part to play in the success of this case. You can't take all the credit Sir," argued Ruby back. Heera gleamed at her. Finally, she had a partner to fight against Sagar's uncalled actions.

"Sagar has the habit of collecting the entire good name at the end of every case. But you should look at him when something goes wrong," said Vikram patting Sagar's back harder than needed. Sagar grinned gritting his teeth in pain. Vikram was too strong for him.

Heera and Shilpa diverted their focus on their kids who were enjoying their noodles. Noodles! What was so special about noodles, wondered the mothers. The kids had that at home and they have it everytime they visited restaurants. The happiness and the sparkle in their eyes seeing the noodles- the mothers wished the kids showed the same sparkle when they opened their books for exams.

"Any call from the prosecution yet?" asked Vikram tearing a piece of his paratha.

"Shall we not talk about your cases at least here," retorted Shilpa.

"Yes. Let's talk of something else," said Sagar cheerfully.

"Yes! When are you planning to get married, Sir?" asked Ruby casually.

"Married? Who? Me? Why?" Sagar asked in surprised. His eyes were at the verge of popping out.

"You are growing old, Sir. Don't you think you ought to settle down in life?" Ruby was clearly enjoying herself. The others stifled a grin and watched the happenings managing a serious look.

"Old? Me? I am fit as a fiddle," replied Sagar tapping his shoulder muscles as a sign.

"That doesn't mean your age remains stagnant. It does increase by one every year," said Ruby. "So- have you seen any girl?"

"You are crazy," said Sagar laughing expecting support from others. Ruby had hit him with the subject he was most awkward with. Talking about girls was fine. But marriage? Sagar focused on his food as a sign that it was end of conversation. The team could see his cheeks turning red in embarrassment.

"Come on Sagar!" Shilpa joined the conversation. "Your parents must have been pressurizing you, right? Why not accept their wishes?"

"You too Shilpa!" Sagar was shocked and realised that he was being cornered. "Shall we change the topic please?"

"Why?" asked Ruby.

"Why not talk about your marriage then?" asked Sagar. "Even you are single."

"Oh yes I am single. And I am going to get married in another couple of years," replied Ruby.

"Who is the boy?" asked Sagar.