Chapter Twenty-0ne

/////Sam's POV\\\\\

We were on a small island in the middle of Lake Laogai, and I was sitting on a rock next to Sokka, smiling at Aang. He hadn't let Appa out of his sight since the bison had come to our rescue, and no one could really blame him. We hadn't seen the kid this happy in ages, and didn't want to ruin the moment. 

This is why I was confused when Sokka stood up, and pulled me over to the other girls. 

"Look, we escaped from the Dai Lee, got Appa back... I'm telling you, we should go to the Earth King now, and tell him our plan," Sokka proposed. "We're on a roll." 

"One good hour, after weeks of trouble isn't much of a roll," Katara told him, putting a hand on her hip. 

"We can build on it," Sokka insisted. "If we wanna invade the Fire Nation when the eclipse happens, we need the Earth King's support." 

"What makes you think we'll get it?" Toph asked. "I don't know if you've noticed, but things don't usually go that smoothly for our little gang." 

"I know, but I've got a good feeling about this," Sokka said, shrugging. "This time it'll be different." 

"Sokka," I sighed, rubbing my eyes. "Long Feng is still in control of the city. His little Dai Lee conspiracy thing is too powerful." 

"I think we need to keep flying, and leave this terrible place behind us," Katara said firmly. 

"I'm with Sweetness," Toph grumbled, digging her fingers into the dirt. "I've seen enough of Be Sing Se. And I can't even see!" 

"And I've missed riding on Appa, so let's go," I agreed, stepping towards the girls. "Three against one, we win." I stuck my tongue out to prove my point, and Sokka stuck his out at me also. 

"But now that we have Appa back," Aang started, gliding over to us, "there's nothing stopping us from telling the Earth King the truth. About the conspiracy and the war." 

"See?" Sokka grinned, slinging his arm over the monk. "Aang's with me." Upon seeing Katara's torn face, he put his hand on her shoulder. "It's the whole reason we came here in the first place, we have to try." 

Katara got a thoughtful look on her face, and I groaned. 

"Well, I guess if the Earth King knew the truth, things could change," she decided. 

"I don't trust the new Positive Sokka," Toph stated, standing up, and pointing a finger at him. "Long Feng brainwashed you, didn't he?"

"It's three against two," Sokka mocked me, sticking his tongue out, and ignoring Toph. 

"You know what, Sokka?" I asked, stepping forward. "Fine. I'll vote to go the Earth King, but when things go wrong - because they always do - don't come crying to me." 

Aang suddenly ran over to the water's edge, upon seeing three small sailboats. 

"That's probably the Dai Lee searching for us," Sokka said, now standing next to Aang. "So?" He turned to his sister, with a determined look. 

"Let's fly," Katara stated, and I pulled Toph over to Appa, helping her on. 

We took off, clutching onto Appa's fur, as we no longer had a saddle. "This is not a good idea," I kept muttering, glaring at the city ahead of us. 

"Can we please get a new saddle?" Toph begged. "Riding bareback is terrifying!" She buried her face into Appa's fur. I just chuckled, and put a hand on her shoulder. 

"There it is," Sokka told us, pointing to a huge building. "That whole thing is the palace. The Earth King's chambers should be right in the middle."