Chapter Seventeen

/////Sam's POV\\\\\ 

We were almost to the wall, still with Fong and his family, when we spotted Aang gliding towards us, followed by Momo.

"Aang, what are you doing here?" Katara asked. "I thought you were looking for Appa." 

"I was," he said. "But something stopped me. Something big." 

"How big?" I asked hesitantly, and he led us to the base of the wall, where he and Toph used earth bending to send us flying up. 

"What's so big that Appa has to wait?" Sokka asked, crossing his arms. 

"I'm guessing that," I said, and pointed to a giant, metal worm. 

"We made it to Ba Sing Se, and we're still not safe," Ying cried, cradling her new daughter. "No one is." 

"What are you people doing here?" a guard shouted from behind us. "Civilians aren't allowed on the wall." 

Aang turned to greet the man, with a determined look. "I'm the Avatar," he stated. "Take me to whoever's in charge." 

The man quickly obliged, and took us to a room. Fong and his family were escorted out, but we were left in front of man sitting at a desk. 

"It is an honor to welcome you to the outer wall, young Avatar," the man said. He had a stringy mustache, and an old, wrinkled face. "But your help is not needed." 

"Not needed?" Aang countered. 

"Not needed," he clarified. "I have the situation under control. I assure you. The Fire Nation cannot penetrate this wall. Many have tried to break through it, but none have succeeded." 

"What about the Dragon of the West? He got in," Toph snapped, and the dude stiffened. 

I blew a low whistle, and chuckled. 

"Well, technically, yes, but he was quickly expunged," the guy rushed, and Toph and Sokka raised an eyebrow. The man cleared his throat before continuing. "Nevertheless, that is why the city is named 'Ba Sing Se'. It's the impenetrable city. They don't call it Na Sing Se!" He laughed, but I just cocked my head, not understanding his odd humor. He must have caught my expression, because he stopped. "That mean penetrable city." 

"Right..." I drawled. "Anyway. There's still the whole drill problem." 

"Not for long!" he protested. "To stop it, I've sent an elite platoon of earthbenders called..." he paused dramatically, "the Terror Team." 

"That's a good group name!" Sokka chimed. "Very catchy..." 

"No it's not," I said. "It reminds of something... Something to do with history back on my world. It involved the guillotine..." 

"What are you talking about?" Katara asked, but I waved her off. 

"It'll come to me," I assured her. 

She just rolled her eyes, and walked over to the ledge of the wall. I followed, and gasped at the sight below us. The 'Terror Team' was trying to stop the drill, but were failing - badly. We watched as Ty Lee took down the entire 'elite' force in under a minute, and the general guy stood up. 

"We're doomed!" he cried. 

To all our surprise, Sokka slapped him across the face. "Get a hold of yourself, man!" he shouted. 

"You're right," the guy said, rubbing his cheek. "I'm sorry." 

"Maybe you'd like the Avatars help now?" Toph asked innocently. 

"Yes please," he whined, sounding pathetic. 

I stared at Sokka, studying him, with my head tilted. 

"What?" he asked, sounding scared. 

"I have a new found respect for you, Sokka," I told him. 

"Erm, thanks?" 

I laughed at him, and went to stand next to Toph. 

"So, the question is," Aang started, "how do we stop this thing?" 

We all turned to stare at Sokka, waiting. 

When he noticed, he took a step back. "Why are you all looking at me now? Do you all have new found respect for me too?" 

"No," Katara snorted. 

"You're the idea guy," Aang told him. 

"So I'm the only one who can come up with a plan?" Sokka asked, crossing his arms. "That's a lot of pressure." 

"And also the complaining guy," Katara teased, and Aang smiled. 

"That part I don't mind," Sokka muttered.