Chapter 32: Allies and Enemies

Astrid and Deman ate their food in silence. Both were thinking about what was about to come to themselves and the kingdom. They wondered how it all would end, or if it would ever end. 

"I heard the people in the village discussing when we were going to have a child." Deman spoke with a grin plastered on his face. "I even seen one group of people making bets on the date." He took a sip of water from his silver goblet.

Astrid laughed and wiped her mouth. "I do not know if I could be a mother to a child." She shrugged, laying her hands onto her lap. "I cannot imagine."

Deman smiled kindly at her. "You would be a wonderful mother. Do not ever think otherwise. I know-"

The door abruptly slammed open, causing a stir in the quiet room. "Sire," Camilla breathed heavily, pointing to the window. "There are ships coming up the river!" She shouted in fear, rushing inside the dining hall. "The villagers pounding on the doors. They are scared out of their wits. What should we do!?" She frantically paced back and forth in the room, wringing her hands in circles.

Deman quickly arose, making his way to Camilla. He wrapped his arm around her shoulders, pulling her close to him. "Everything will be fine as long as you remain calm." He nodded, patting her on the back. "Tell the priest to sound the bell. Have the guards close the gates."

Deman moved steadily toward the door. His face held a stern expression, as did his body.

"Take Astrid to our chamber," Deman whispered to Camilla, reaching her a long key. "Lock her inside. I do not want her outside."

Camilla nodded as he left the room. Astrid watched him disappear from her sight, making her heart sink with despair. She buried her face into her hands, hiding the fears that were written on her face.

"My lady," Camilla mumbled, approaching Astrid. "Come to your chamber."

Astrid glanced up at her coldly. "No." She stood up from where she sat, walking toward the open door. "I cannot leave my husband."

"But your husband wants you to be safe." Camilla replied, going after Astrid. "Please, just make this easy on us both."

Astrid aimlessly stared at Camilla, without speaking. Astrid nodded in agreement before she left the room. She rushed up the spiral staircase, leaving Camilla several steps behind. Astrid stopped abruptly in the middle of her room.

"What if they kill Deman to get to me?" Astrid nervously questioned, facing Camilla. "I cannot leave him alone. He is innocent!"

Camilla wrapped her arm around Astrid's shoulder, pulling her close. "Everything will be alright, Astrid. Please, remain calm." Camilla reassured her, squeezing her arm tightly. "I am going to leave you here until Deman says you can come out."

Astrid's face went blank with fear. She felt a nervous pit welling in her stomach. The only thing on her mind was the safety of Deman and the kingdom.

Astrid let out a deep sigh as she rubbed her sweaty palms along the bodice of her dress. She looked around the silent room in search for something to ease her mind. Slowly, she strolled onto the balcony and overlooked the world below. The simple lives of the villagers was now paused as the dreaded Northmen pressed closer and closer to the land. People cowered in fear hidden behind the heavy doors of the stone gates. In the distance, Astrid noticed the well-dressed warriors as they jumped from the longboats into the water below, disembarking upon an adventure. Once the men settled down on the shore, a familiar figure appeared upon the wooden dock. Astrid gasped, holding her hand over her mouth.