Chapter 21: The Royal Helper

Astrid sat down on the edge of the bed and placed her hand upon the side of her face, shielding her view from the strangers that had greeted her. Confusion blurred in her mind as she tried desperately to remember the days after she left Lundur, but no memories came to her.

"Please, sire, won't you tell me how I got here?" Astrid asked, dropping her hands to her lap and straightening her posture.

Deman stared at Astrid with a dull expression, then he focused his eyes upon a candle behind her while he polished a juicy red apple on his white, spotless tunic.

"Two fishermen found you unconscious in a boat upon the seas and brought you here." He answered, making his way to the large bed, where he sat down on the opposite side. "We have some questions that an answer would be much appreciated, but if you do not wish to answer you do not have to."

Astrid scrunched her face up in a confused manner as she looked at him.

"Why did they bring me here? I was finally leaving."

Deman intriguingly raised his brows.

"What was you leaving?" He asked in a kind manner, crunching into the apple. "And another question is why were you bleeding in such a manner? The bottom of your boat was stained with blood and your dress--your dress was drenched. What happened to you?" He wiped is lip slightly off with his sleeve before leaning closer towards Astrid. "We are just as confused as you are, dear. Tell us what we need to know so we can help you get where you were going."

Astrid's memory flashed back to Lundur, being raped and beaten, and how she despised Bard with all her heart. She felt her face begin to grow hot with anger and shame. Warm tears dripped from her cheek onto her wringing hands. She let a long painful wail as the tears freely flowed from her eyes in hot streams down her face.

Deman watched her from the other side of the bed for several minutes before placing his hand lightly on her back.

"I do not wish for you to cry." Deman whispered softly, patting her shoulder. "You are safe here from whomever, or whatever, it is you are running from." He stood up and strolled leisurely back Lorna, who was waiting by the door. "We are going to leave you alone for now. You can talk whenever you are more at ease." Lorna swung the door open and stepped out first. "I will send the maids to check on you to see that you are well. Rest now. It will help you." Deman said, following behind Lorna, shutting the door quietly behind him.

Astrid watched carefully as the sturdy door shut, shutting her out once again from the world. She flopped over on her side, burying her face into the silk sheets while the tears eased from her eyes. Her heart was heavy as her eyes, that were fluttering shut into a sleep.

Astrid jumped awake when a loud bang came from the door. She inched her way towards the door, fearing the worst in her mind as she swung it open.

"My uncle and I would like you to come to dinner with us." Lorna stated in a chipper tone, holding a purple dress in her arms. "The maids have sent you a dress so you will look like royalty." She reached the shimmery material to Astrid with a smile. "We can talk everything over the table while we dine. What do you say?"

"I-I am very flattered but I do not need to eat at your table." Astrid shook her head. "I am not worthy."

Lorna stepped inside the room with her, shutting the door behind her.

"You are a person, are you not?" Lorna asked, taking Astrid by the hand. "My uncle and I do not care, for you are our guest, and tonight you shall be treated as a guest, even if you high-tail and run away in the morning. Tonight you are one of us."