Chapter 29: An Unexpected Savior

Astrid pulled on her thick wool cloak over her velvet dress. She calmly walked down the stairwell from her chamber humming the same tune her mother used to sing to her. Since the Northmen had arrived several days before, her mind had been consumed with memories of her past, however, she did not let them take her happiness.

Astrid stopped beside the throne room, where Deman sat with a couple men dressed in black leather drinking wine. She watched them quietly from the doorway, listening closely to what they wee talking about only to realize they were very hushed. After minutes of eavesdropping, Astrid turned to leave.

"Astrid!" Deman's voice yelled, echoing through the empty room.

Astrid stopped cold where she stood, dreading what he was going to say to her. She scrunched her face up, resembling as if she were in pain, and turned around calmly. Deman stepped out of the doorway, his face written with concern. His eyes wondered around the halls and to the empty spaces around her.

"Where is Lorna?" He whispered hastily, glancing over his shoulder.

Astrid confusingly rolled her eyes from side to side, shrugging her shoulders. "I do not know. I have not seen her all day."

Deman began rapidly pacing back and forth, running his head frantically. "I have not seen or heard from her all day." he worriedly faced Astrid. "That is not like my Lorna. I am worrying about her."

Astrid smiled at him reassuring. "I am sure she is just out taking a walk. She has life-changing events forthcoming." She held his shoulders tightly. "She is probably just letting her mind become settled, that is all."

Deman nodded and stared at the ground. "What if those men have her!?"

"Do not think like that!" Astrid suggested, tilting his head up quickly, staring deep into his eyes. "She would not go around them, I know that." She laid her hand lightly upon his cheek, making small calming circles with her thumb. "I will go and find her."

"Take this with you." Deman said, reaching Astrid a sheathed dagger. "I do not want you to take any risks." He smiled softly, placing a tender kiss upon her lips before returning to the men inside.

Astrid watched him as he continued on with his business. She looked around hoping that Lorna would appear, but she never came. Quickly, Astrid slipped the sheath onto her belt which hung tightly around her waist. She took one last look around before she left the castle.

A brisk air blew, sending shivers down Astrid's spine. She pulled the thick, black material up around her body, shielding it from the cool winds. Winter would soon be coming, which made her concern rise even more. Raids would begin in spring after the crops were raised and last until winter came. Once winter ended, they would make their first raids more intense than the rest. Astrid feared that the kingdom would be the first target of their spring raids since they had finally found her.

Astrid walked through the village, watching closely for Lorna while speaking kindly to the people she passed. She noticed a group of children playing joyfully in the square. They pretended to be soldiers in battle, thrusting the wooden swords at each other with chipper laughs and smiles, just as she used to do with her father. She watched them momentarily until their mothers called for them. She then continued past them, strolling past the fish and vegetable stands with the same delightful smile stretched upon her face. Beside the livestock stables were several Northmen inspecting the animals inside. She sped past them, hoping they did not recognize her. Her heart felt heavy at the sight of them.

Astrid stopped suddenly at the end of the path, whirling around while her eyes scanned the crowds once again for Lorna. She was not there. A sense of panic overcame her. She frantically ran back through the village looking carefully inside the markets and large crowds. Lorna was still nowhere to be found.