Obsession Chapter 14

Start from the beginning

I sighed, and saw Cain throw a quick glance at me before turning his gaze back to the road. 

"Are you sure you're OK?" he asked for the umpteenth time, squeezing my hand. 

"I'll be fine", I said. "I was just surprised - I didn't think he'd com here." Then another thought struck me. "How did he even know where I go to school, anyway? I never told him." 

Cain frowned and gripped the steering wheel so hard that his knuckles whitened. 

"Are you OK?" I asked, turning the question on him. 

"I don't like it", he said shortly, and when he saw my questioning look, "Him being here, I mean. It bothers me." 

"Oh." Oh? Oh?! Was that all I had to say?! I mean - the guy practically admitted to jealousy: I should have been gloating at least a little bit! "Yeah. It bothers me too." Seriously? Come on! (*Sigh*) I should just shut my mouth. 

Just then, we pulled up in front of my house. 

"Do you want me to come inside?" Cain asked, studying me with worrisome eyes. 

"Of course!" I spoke too soon, giving myself away: I always wanted him with me. He smiled a little as if somehow reassured by my embarrassing eagerness. "Are you sure you want to, though?" I asked, a little concerned as that second thought hit me. 

He looked at me sweetly, a little teasing smile on his lips. 

"Of course." 

We spent the rest of the day and all into the night on the couch, watching movies. I was comfortable in Cain's arms, but my thoughts kept drifting to Matt's face in the crowd. 

What was he really doing here? He couldn't possibly expect to get me back, even if that was his reason for coming - he couldn't be that stupid. I knew I would never be able to forgive him, and he should know me well enough to know that. Glancing up at Cain out of the corner of my eye, I thought to myself; Not that I would take him back now, anyway - even if I were to forgive him

I was cuddled up under his arm, and his bodyheat was spreading all the way into my bones. I snuggled closer and Cain turned his head to smile at me, and as our eyes locked, shivers of pleasure went down my spine. Why was I even thinking of Matt when I was in the arms of this god? It was insane. 

Without breaking eye contact, I rose to my knees and threw my right leg over his two, straddling him. Then I gently put both my hands at his neck, keeping his head in place as I slowly bent down to press my lips to his in a sweet, slow kiss. His hands went up to my waist, where he kept a light grip that he used to pull me closer while deepening the kiss. I smiled against his lips and tugged on a few strands of hair at the nape of hi neck. 

I could feel my legs weaken as the kiss intensified, and lowered myself onto his lap, repositioning my hands so that one was at the back of his head, with a firm hold on his hair, and the other at his shoulder. At the same time Cain's hands moved from my waist to roam my back, all the while keeping me close to him. 

I jumped about ten feet when the front door burst open and my mom came stumbling in, almost asleep on her feet. Honestly, that woman had the worst timing! Cain and I separated, and I gave him a quick kiss on the cheek before going to help my mom so that she would actually get to her bed instead of curling up on the floor like she looked like she was about to do. 

"Hi, mom", I said as I took her by the arm. 

"Mmm..." she mumbled sleepily. 

"How did you even get home in this state? Why didn't you stay over at the office? You know you shouldn't be driving when you're on the verge of falling asleep", I gently reprimanded her as I led her up the stairs, smiling at Cain before we disappeared out of sight. "I don't understand why you insist on working so hard - we're not in that much need of money, you know, and you're really wearing yourself out." We got into her bedroom and I took her bag from her before taking off her coat and placing it over the back of the chair by her desk. "You should really slow down, or you're going to get grey hair", I joked, although I don't think she heard me - she was probably already asleep.