Chapter 4

"Let me get this straight. You went to the recital and met the founder of the school we study at, who by the way was hot for heels and then you scored a date with him this afternoon just by playing a simple piece of music? How you hypnotize people, I am in awe of you!" Jesse said dramatically, wishing he could get a man that easy. Annabelle and Anne both rolled their eyes at each other. Annabelle was busy cleaning up after her last customer left, making sure everything was neat and tidy before Megan took over her shift. Megan being Anne's niece.

Megan and Annabelle never got off on the right foot. Megan had always been a little insecure when it came to her, Annabelle didn't need to go on diets nor did she need make up or extensions. She was beautiful the way she was and got a lot of attention for it, but Annabelle being Annabelle was obviously oblivious to this and that annoyed Megan. She thought she deserved the attention since she worked hard in getting it. Annabelle wasn't bothered to be honest, especially when it came to all the insults and jealous snarks. Lucky for her she had Jesse in her life who made her toughen up every now and then. Megan was just a harmless insecure little girl who never got attention or love at home except when it came from Anne. She had a lot more in common with Annabelle than she thought, if they took the time to get to know each other, they'd see that they were both just misunderstood.

Annabelle let out a dry laugh as she saw Jesse's expression, she didn't think this would be his reaction, then again it was Jesse and you can never be too sure what you are getting into. He had mood swings like a girl. Annabelle shrugged it off, it was just coffee with a founder who thought her performance was good, nothing more. But deep inside she hoped...

"You're crazy, it's just coffee." Annabelle said putting the salt and pepper back on the table she just wiped.

"Is he rich? I hope so. Jesse you see this? Take notes son." Anne said as she laughed at both Jesse and Belle's open mouths. Megan on the other had made her appearance know by snorting.

"Or he is going to complain about how she lacks talent and that she sucks." Megan said standing a few feet from them.

Deep down it stung Annabelle, music was the one thing she never wanted to screw up. It was her baby and her confidence. There was no way she could allow herself to mess up. Keeping her head high she turned to Megan with a comeback. "I thought that was your job." Megan's mouth hung open as she turned and walked to the kitchen while Jesse took the opportunity and burst in loud laughter. Annabelle's proud face fell once Megan left and guilt instantly stepped in. Jesse saw this and his smile dropped as well.

"Oh no, I know this look. Don't you dare think about it, you did good." He held up his hand so she could high five him and she shook her head walking to her locker at the back. As she retreated Anne looked at a smiling Jesse. She stood up and smacked his head following Annabelle.

"You're starting to become a real mean lady Anne!" Jesse yelled after her making her smirk to herself.

"Belle? Sweetie?" Anne called for her as she entered the back room. She saw Annabelle with her back against her, facing the locker.

"Yeah." Annabelle said nervously as she turned to face her. She had a pair of blue jean shorts in her hand along with a flowy, purple, strapless top. Her nude sandals were on the ground next to her feet. "I-I'm so sorry Anne, I didn't mea-"

Anne could see her guilt was evident. She didn't feel the need to become protective or scold her. She was merely standing up for herself. Yes Anne loved her niece but it wasn't her fight to meddle in.