Goodbyes (Part 1)

Tap. Tap. Tap Tap. Tap Tap Tap.

A rectangular shaped object, most likely a pillow, flew across the room and collided with a curtain covered window and was proceeded by a very bleary "Ugh would you shut up..." immediately after that the tapping stopped. However the occupant of the room, which was being assaulted by the tapping menace, would not be allowed to go back to sleep this fine morning as the the rather persistent tapping creature had a rather important letter to deliver.

Hermione finally got up and crossed sleepily to the window rubbing her eyes as she went. The bright sunlight that jumped from the space where she had parted the curtains almost blinded her for a moment so she raised her hand to shield her eyes. Once her sleep filled vision had acclimatised to the bright day she looked out of the window to find herself staring into the the yellow orbs of a silvery brown short eared owl. Clasped in its right taloned foot was a letter with the blood-red seal of Hogwarts. Her tiredness all but forgotten she threw the curtains away and ripped open the sash of her window. The owl flew in and circled the room twice, once narrowly missing the small chandelier that hung from the ceiling, and then deposited its letter into Hermiones' hands. Once it had gracefully circled the room once more it landed on the rear right bedpost of Hermione's bed. The bird let out a happy hoot and started to preen itself while Hermione tore open the seal and grabbed the letter inside.

'Dear Miss Granger,

                                       On behalf of Professor McGonagall and myself we are glad to except you as the new appreciate of Advanced Potions.'

"Snape glad to have me? Yeah right!" Scoffed Hermione. Shaking her head she carried on reading

'Clearly you have enough experience in the field to merit this appreciate so I do not wish to be disappointed.' 

"If he thinks he's getting rid of me that easily then he's got another thing coming!"

'You will report to Hogwarts three days before the start of the new term. Professor Mcgonagall and myself will expect you at noon. Your accommodation is yet to be sorted out, please collect the needed supplies before you start the apprenticeship. I will enclose a list for you...

Finally, and I would hope this goes without saying, but this is a job Miss Granger I hope you treat it like one.

                        S. Snape -Potions Master at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry'

"How charming! The bloody cheek of him to insinuate that I don't know a job when I see one!" With a huff Hermione dug out the supply list and read over what she would need to buy and what she already had.

Hermione instantly skim read most of the list until she got to one part of it that really interested her. She rolled her eyes to see that Snape had left her foot notes for most of the books in brackets.

'Books you will need:

~Potions Opuscule - Advanced by Jigger (less well known, but I am sure your know-it-all tendencies will come in handy procuring it)

"Got."

~Book of Potions by Zygmunt Budge (we'll excuse the pages with mistakes)

~An Apprentice's guide to Potion Making by Xavious Draughtnought 

"Oh what a joy that is going to be to read! Draughtnought does go on a bit..."

~Potionibus pro communi pythonissam et veneficus by Galen (though his work as a muggle scientist may have proved to be incorrect his work in potions has been proven to have its merits)