Letters

Snape had been sat in his office for more than an hour trying to write a letter to Miss Granger telling her about her apprenticeship. Unfortunately every time he started something was wrong, whether it was that he sounded too grumpy or he called her by her last name only, there was always something wrong. Because of this the floor around his desk was littered with partially scrunched up bits of parchment with his iconic scrawly handwriting inside.

Right let's try this again...
'Dear Miss Granger' good start...
'On behalf of Professor McGonagall and myself we are glad to except you as the new appreciate of Advanced Potions.' Yes she might be glad but I am most certainly not! Holding black the urge to cross out glad Snape continued.
'Clearly you have enough experience in the field to merit this apprenticeship so I do not wish to be disappointed. You will report to Hogwarts three days before the start of the new term. Professor Mcgonagall and myself will expect you at noon. Your accommodation is yet to be sorted out, please collect the needed supplies before you start the apprenticeship. I will enclose a list for you...

Finally, and I would hope this goes without saying, but this is a job Miss Granger I hope you treat it like one.

S. Snape -Potions Master at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry'

That seems satisfactory, I hope she hasn't lost the ability to follow instructions...

With a final glance over the writing Snape placed the letter in an envelope and addressed it to one 'Miss H. J. Granger'. Without another thought on how she was still a 'Miss' or a 'Granger' Snape got up and walked quickly to his fireplace. He stepped in and dropped the powder into the flames.

Snape stepped out into the Headmistress's office. Much to Snape's surprise she was not there. He turned to leave, but before he could a soft cough brought his head back around.

"Good to see you Severus." Snape slowly turned back around to find the painting of Albus Dumbledore smiling down at him.

"Dumbledore..." Snape seemed displeased to see his former headmaster and friend.

"I must congratulate you on your survival, Severus. Very quick thinking there..." Even the painting version of Dumbledore had a twinkle in his eye...

"How do you know about that?"

"Oh come now Severus... Just because I am dead doesn't mean I don't know everything still...

The old fool was right... How could I have guessed for a minute that death would stop him from meddling in my business... Even from beyond the grave that man has it in for me, one way or another...

"Oh how could I forget, you're the great Albus Dumbledore! Omniscient even in death..." Snape's voice dripped with sarcasm.

"And it appears I should also congratulate you on your new apprentice!"

"Oh right and I assume that you worked that one out by making elaborate plans while you were still alive and creating some spell that allows you to read through folded paper! Even in painting form!" Snape waved the undelivered letter in front of Dumbledore in a rather angry fashion.

Dumbledore stayed rather still for a moment before simply stating that Mcgonagall had told him earlier that day. The painting gave an irritated smirk as Snape began to eye the former professor with anger.

Snape became very annoyed very quickly and the painting took note not to try and outsmart him again.

"Be that as it may, Dumbledore, you still have no right gossiping about my misfortunes."

"What on earth are you on about dear boy? Gossip me? A mere painting? And what misfortune?"

"Do not play dumb with me... You know as well as I that Lavender Brown having ingested a rather powerful tongue loosening potion would be better equipped to keep a secret than a painting. And as for the misfortune well, that has taken the shape of one Miss Hermione Granger. Now do you have any idea where Minerva is or not?" Snape's speech was rather unexpected and the painting Dumbledore looked rather shocked at the outburst.

The painting thought it wise to give up trying to talk to Snape and instead told him where he may find Minerva and scuttled out of his painting.

Snape strode out of the office and down the many staircases. He marched out to the courtyard and took a left down towards the lake. He stopped as he surveyed the scene. Mcgonagall wasn't the easiest witch to find in a hurry. Snape searched for both a old woman in green and a tabby cat (not knowing what form she was in). Snape's eyes rested on Hagrid's shabby hut which had a wisp of smoke coming from the chimney.

Of course she would go there...