~Latianna~ (Chapter 1)

I'm sitting in a wooden rocking chair, staring out the window as I cradle a girl in my arms. I move at a slow and repetitive rate, mimicking this child's breathing. When her face relaxes and feel her stop moving, I know that she is now asleep. I stand up and rest her in the white crib, exactly the same to the other 30 surrounding her. Each child has the same of the other. Everything in the room being duplicated once made me uneasy, but doesn't bother me anymore. The quietness in the room gives me the freedom to do what I like, without leaving the children of course. I sit back in the all too familiar wooden rocking chair and stare out the window.

    I watch the rain pour on the streets and the zeppelins fly in the grey sky over my head. People rush around, living their daily, normal lives. Some are laughing, some are running to vehicles to avoid getting soaked by the rain that pours; I envy their uniformity, knowing I'll never have the blessing like they do.

I'm sure not to keep that saddening thought in my head for too long; I know the Elders can hear me. I push it out and get back to focusing on my job.

    I look down to the child sleeping in the crib. Her name is Lisa McCain and it's her first day here at the "Nursing Care Clinic" (also known as the NCC). Almost every month we get about three new kids, but Lisa has been the first child here in awhile. The only reason why she's here is because of a condition she was born with. "ADHD" is what the doctors say, a common condition I've seen.

    I've worked here for 2 years now, which is shocking to most. I started right after I turned 16, which is quite young for a care nurse. I finished school about 3 months ago, and I finally feel like I will make it in this world. Being young and determined in London's golden age has sure got me where I want; helping those in need.

Two years here and I have matured far beyond my years. At least, so I've heard since I started working here. I'm 18, and I've learned more "tricks-of-the-trade" than most people working here.

    I look back at Lisa in her crib and pick up the clipboard hanging beside it. I skim through her paperwork, trying to read the basics of her life. I don't get much, but from what I do, I can already feel bad for her.

"Name: Lisa McCain

DOB: June 11th, 3011

Hair colour: Blonde

Eye colour: Blue

Parents: Mother deceased, father missing

Spirit animal: Unknown"

I can't help but release a quiet sigh as I read those last two parts, understanding the feeling of the "unknown".

    My mother and father died when I was very young, making me an orphan at 7. I wish that I could remove that memory from my mind, but some parts will never leave. The crackling of the wood burning, the heat of the flames, the screams of my parents... it all lives all too vividly in my past, but it doesn't matter anymore; it's over and I won't be able to bring them back. I heard that Lisa's mother died during labour, and her father is unknown, which makes her an orphan like me. I just hope that one day he will return to her. I know from experience that orphanages have a lack at establishing parent figures.

    At least she's young, plenty of time to get cast into whichever animal her spirit leads her to. I wish I could say the same for me, but getting cast into a spirit is about as certain that the sky will be hot pink tomorrow. My chances are slim to none.

    I walk back towards the window I was looking out of earlier as I begin to grab my belongings. The elderly who live here smile at me; they know I should have finished my final shift over an hour ago. But I don't want to go home. Home is lonely, and I only have to take care of myself. Here, I have people to laugh with, children to watch, and Elders to watch over me.

    Some of them treat me as if they are my parents, which I love. It's as if they have watched me grown up since I was a child. They can tell what I'm thinking and feeling because they can read my mind. Those who have a spirit can read the minds of those who lack a spirit; aka me. Yet I'm still stuck here, once again being way too different.

    I brush the thoughts of them out of my mind as I watch out the window for a few more seconds. The rain bounces off the ground as people step through puddles and hide under umbrellas. They all seem so ordinary and alike, until I notice a young man bump into an innocent, red headed lady. He apologizes and keeps walking, but I know he's not sorry at all. He grabbed that lady's wallet and she didn't even noticed. I wouldn't have noticed either, but I've done the same trick myself.

He won't be getting away with it the same way I did.