Chapter Thirteen

Ash's POV:

I rubbed my tired eyes as I stared at my phone. It sat opposite me, face down, volume on the highest setting. I was waiting. I didn't know what for, but I was waiting. Cross-legged on the floor, enveloped in my dark thoughts, I didn't hear my bedroom door open. I didn't hear somebody enter my room until they were standing in front of me. A jean-clad pair of legs obstructed my view of my phone. I remained still, eyes trained on the spot my phone used to be. I heard a voice. I couldn't make out who was talking, or what they were saying. I slowly blinked and raised my head. My eyes moved from the grey jeans to a red sweater to the anxious face of my mother. I met her eyes. Her frown was concerned; I remained emotionless.

"Ashton?" Her voice was quiet and soft in an attempt not to spook me, "What's wrong honey?"

I blinked a few times as I slipped back into reality. I smiled brightly, pushing myself to feet as I reached around my mum's legs to pick up my phone and shove it into my back pocket.

"Nothing. Sorry, I zoned out. How did your meeting with the solicitor go?" I asked to change the subject, pulling on a hoodie to hide my repulsive bruised and scarred body from my mother. The concern lingered in her eyes for a moment longer before it was replaced by defeat.

"Badly... I think. I don't understand anything they're telling me! They're saying your father can take all my money - or maybe he can't - but he can take some of it, or most of it, because we didn't sign this form thing when we got married-"

"A prenup." I told her.

"Yes, one of those. And his lawyers are better than mine so they can take all my money, I don't know. I don't understand any of it!" She was waving her arms about hysterically. I took her hands, growing serious.

"Calm down, Mum," I spoke gently. A ghost of a smile shadowed my lips in an attempt to comfort her, "It will work out fine. I'll go with you next time to make sure they're not taking advantage or such like."

"Thank you, Ashton." My mum pulled me into a hug and I could feel her shaking gently as she fought back sobs.

She took a deep breathe and looked up at me, smiling mirthlessly. I pulled away and gave her a kiss on the cheek. I smiled back at her and she eventually perked up a little. She nudged my arm, causing me to wince as she hit a bruise, and she started laughing quietly. The corners of her eyes creased as she laughed. My own smile widened; it had been so long since I'd heard my mother's laughter. And it was the first time in years it has been me she was laughing with. She moved to sit on the edge of my bed, smoothing the covers beside her. I took the hint and sat down on the bed beside her pulling my legs up so I was sitting Indian-style. For the first time in a long time my mother seemed genuinely happy to be around me.

"How are you and Oli doing?" She asked innocently. She didn't know.

My face paled and I forgot how to breathe. Even the sound of his name threw ice-cold daggers into my burning heart.

She continued; "I haven't seen him since you two broke up a few years ago. You should invite him over for dinner. Maybe tomorrow, if he's not busy. It's so nice you two are back together, I always knew you two were meant to be. He's a sweet kid. It was your dad's fault you broke up with the poor thing but he's not around to stop you anymore. You deserve to be happy, Ash, and I think Oli's a wonderful boy."

Her supportive smile faltered when she saw my grief-stricken expression. Realization dawned on her and she waited for me to speak, her mouth slightly agape.

"We broke up." I muttered sadly, tears piercing the corners of my eyes, my heart straining in my chest.

"Oh Honey, I'm so sorry. What happened?" She questioned, shocked. I felt her warm arms encircle me and pull me to her chest, like she used to when I was a kid. Before I came out. I squeezed my eyes shut and let the tears flow. Pieces of my heart rolled away in the waves. A sobbing mess, I couldn't find the words to answer her question.