Man of Shadows and Secrets

Chapter 4

Man of Shadows and Secrets

King Alexander Ryall, Ryall Manor, Whiteridge

"Where-are-MY-SONS!" Alexander bellowed, clipping off the end of each word. "Visermann, I trusted youonce--I gave you one chance--to protect Elenore's legacy. . ." he took a deep breath, his face turning as red as his jacket. "And THIS is what happens!" he slammed his fist into the fine mahogany table, making his glass of whiskey and Visermann's wine jump. He heaved a great sigh of frustration, falling into a chair with a thud. "And now the three people who would truly carry on her memory are missing," he said, having finished his rant.

Visermann took a step back, looking almost nervous. "Recall, Alex, you--"

"Don't call me by that name," he growled, tightening his grip on the chair's armrests. "You don't have the right to any more."

"Just as I gave up the right to the throne?"

"Ha! That was of your own volition." He ran his hand across his face. "You gave the throne to me."

"True though it may be, it was still of my own volition."

"Not the point. Who gives up the crown just like that?" Alexander asked, trying to distract himself so he wouldn't think the worst of his sons' condition.

"It would have been a nuisance to be the king, rather than his older brother," Visermann said. "Being the princes' uncle also has its perks. . ."

Alexander growled softly.

Wisely, Visermann stayed silent.

There was a long pause before anyone spoke again.

"Your boys should be fine," Visermann said at last. "They should be coming here any minu--"

"You said should," Alexander said softly. "Why would there be a should in that sentence?"

"My Lord--" Visermann began.

Alexander grabbed the lapel of Visermann's fine velvet suit, pulling Visermann's face towards his.

"You never call me 'my Lord'. What's your game?" he said, struggling to keep his tone quiet and level.

Some faraway piece of Alexander knew that he was probably making a mistake. Adding should to a sentence didn't make it sinister, and it surely didn't mean that Visermann was unsure of his sons' safety. It could have just been part of his form of speech, or a poorly worded sentence.

But Visermann wouldn't make a slip like that.

Visermann flashed Alexander a serpentine smile.

"I have no game, brother," he said. "I was simply trying to tell you that the man who is watching your sons--"

Alexander jerked Visermann's coat. "Are you saying, that you put the blood of Rhylath, Elenore's onlylegacy, in the hands of an incapable man!?" the king of Rhylath shouted. "The only reason I appointed Elden as the leader of the White Lion Guard after Gilbert died was because you suggested it!"

Everything he says is so cold and calculated.

"No, I simply meant--"

He's not the kind of person who speaks before thinking. Quite the opposite.

"Know your place, Visermann!" Alexander snapped, shoving Visermann as he released the prince.

"Elden and the boys will be arriving any minute now, Alex--"