Into the Storm

A/N: The picture you see at the top here? That's Rhylath's Coat of Arms for the general army. Special squadrons, such as the White Lion Squad of the royal guard, will have different Coats, though. I wanted to show it with Rhylath's Flag/Royal Crest, but, alas, you can not put two pictures in one chapter.

Chapter 3

Into the Storm

King Alexander Ryall, Stowerling Palace, Winterhold

"Elden!" Alexander's voice boomed through the chaos, calling for the captain of his sons' royal guard.

A man clad in white and red bearing the White Lion Squad's coat of arms ran forth. The White Lion Squad was an elite squad in the royal guard that was assigned to protect the princes. Four white stripes on each of his shoulders signified him as the leader of said squad.

"Yes, my Lord?" he asked, kneeling.

The look in Alexander's eyes terrified the Elden, who was only just now realizing seriousness of the situation.

"Protect my sons."

With a dramatic flip of his black cloak, the king left.

Prince Edmond Ryall, Stowerling Palace, Winterhold

Lionel's tan face paled. He dropped the knife.

"Now is not the time for games, my friend," Edmond said, grabbing Lionel's shoulder and scooping up his friend's fallen knife. "We need to get out of the palace."

"Alas, young prince Edmond, that is the one thing I cannot allow you to do," a voice behind them rasped. Edmond whirled around, throwing the semi-translucent blade at whatever was behind him.

The creature looked vaguely like a corpse that had been withering away for several months. It was, though, entirely black. Though it looked to be nothing more than skin and bones, Edmond suspected that it in no way was hurt or malnourished.

The blade--having an unfamiliar length and weight--flew surprisingly accurately, though it missed the creature's carotid artery, which was where Edmond defaulted to when shocked. It hit the creature in the shoulder, not embedding itself, but going straight through.

It had no effect. The creature did not seem to be affected negatively whatsoever, just annoyed.

"Why you. . ." it growled.

"I am afraid I cannot allow you to hurt milord Edmond," said a familiar voice behind them. Edmond spun around once more.

Mal stood at the door. He was no longer wearing his coat, but the red and white uniform and armor of a member of the royal guard. He held a large arsteel broadsword in both hands. He smiled grimly. "I've got orders to protect this kid," he said through gritted teeth.

With a battle cry, Mal ran forward, slashing his own blade upward. The creature dodged with ease.

"Lowly humans. . ." it rasped. "I wish you wouldn't throw away your lives so--Easily!" The creature lunged for Mal but he blocked the move with his blade, taking the creature's hand off. It hissed and backed away momentarily.

Slowly--grotesquely--ligaments, tendons, muscle, bone and sinew grew back. Within seconds, the hand was back.

The same as it was before.

Mal took a defensive position, holding the sword vertically in front of him. He risked a glance behind him. "Go!" he yelled, throwing himself forward. "Get outta here!"