Chapter 9. Conservation

Start from the beginning

He held his breath as he heard the beep from the keycard machine. The locks were undone and then he could hear Donovan walking into the building. Stiles swallowed thickly as an all too familiar sound echoed around the library. It was the sound of a cell phone vibrating, he panicked. He reached for his pocket thinking that it was on him and would reveal his location, but then he realized that it had fallen out when he ran inside.

"You dropped your phone," Donovan spoke evenly. His eyes were darting around the library as he snatched the device off the floor.

He glanced at the screen and smirked, recognizing the name, "It's Kasey... should I tell her you're unavailable?"

At the mention of her name Stiles' heart exploded in his chest. He knew that Kasey was at home and safe, but what if she came back here looking for him? What if she showed up and Donovan killed her? What if he killed them both? His ears were ringing even more and he was afraid that Donovan was going to hear his uneven breathing.

Donovan chuckled, "I sent her to voicemail. You don't really know who I am, do you, Stiles?"

Stiles was silent. He could see Donovan moving through the bookshelf and he angled his body more so he was hidden behind the metal. It was dark enough to conceal him, if only he was remaining quiet enough to where Donovan couldn't hear him.

"I know you though," he continued as he walked around the open area, "I know all about the Sheriff's golden son who has the perfect girlfriend."

He could hear the cell phone vibrating again and he clenched his jaw, praying that Kasey would stop calling him. Donovan laughed, "She's calling again... it must be important, you sure you don't want to take her call? Oh, she left a voicemail... let me play it for you."

Stiles pulled his free hand up to his mouth to conceal his rapid breathing. He was on the verge of a panic attack. He had no idea what was about to happen but he knew that he was going to have to do what Kasey did... he was going to have to fight for his life and pray for the best outcome.

"Stiles, call me back right now." Kasey's voice poured out of the speaker on his phone and his heart sank when he heard the desperation in her voice.

Donovan cleared his throat, "We're gonna have to call her back, Stiles."

He was screaming on the inside. All he wanted to do was try to slip past Donovan and make a break for his jeep, hell he may even leave the jeep and just try to run home. He wanted his damn cell phone so he could at least text Kasey and tell her to not come to the school. He was more worried about her than he was about himself right now.

"Maybe you, uh, heard about my father? Did your dad tell you about him? Did Sheriff Stilinski ever tell you about the time he was still Deputy and his partner got caught in a shoot out? Did he tell you that a bullet shattered my dad's T-9 vertebra? Went right through his spinal cord. You know what that means? It means everything below his waist is useless, and not just his legs." Donovan's voice was getting heavier and Stiles could hear the anger.

Stiles recognized the story, well at least parts of it. He hated that the event from how many years ago was going to be the cause of his demise. It was obvious why he was coming after Stiles rather than his father... he wanted to hurt his father with something so terrible, he wouldn't be able to function. He wanted to take away all that he had left. He wanted to demolish any source of happiness in his life.

"I bet he told you some of--oh, she's calling you again. Stiles, we may have to move this along she's getting anxious." he said with a laugh.

He was now biting down on his hand to keep himself from screaming. Kasey was making herself a target and she needed to stop. He can't ensure her safety with this. Donovan cleared his throat, "Anyway, I bet your dad left out the part where he was sitting in a car calling for backup while my dad was going in alone. Did he tell you that he was too scared? Too much of a frightened little bitch to go in after him? Or do scared little bitches not tell their little bitch sons about their failures? About how they put their partner in a wheelchair for the rest of his life?"