Imagine for poprocks77 (5SOS)

Start from the beginning

Immediately my doctor skills kick in and I first make sure that she's still breathing. Once I can hear her breathing, I lift her up into my arms and carry her to the car. I know that she won't like it, but something has to be done to help her, and if she won't take action then I will. I don't want to see her hurt, and I definitely don't want to see her die when I know that I could have done something to help her. We get to my clinic that I run with my three best friends and I carry Sarah in.

"Cal? What are you doing here? Whoa! What happened to Sarah!?" I can hear my friend Mikey ask as I start to set Sarah down on a bed and get her hooked up to a monitor. "I don't know for sure, but call Luke and Ashton over. I think we are going to need them. And can you also get supplies to start an IV? She needs fluids in her ASAP", I tell him and Mikey goes running to get the supplies and get the other guys.

You see, we run a children's clinic and it only has us four in it. There's Mikey, who works in orthopedics. He's in charge of doing casts, or anything with bones and muscles. Then there's Luke, who's a psychiatrist and therapist. In this profession, we've found that a lot of kids get scared and need someone to talk to, so Luke helps them calm down, as well as he prescribes medications if needed. Ashton is a nutritionist, so whenever we get a child that comes in with an eating disorder or needs help with a diet or anything of that sort, they go to him. And then there's me. I'm a pediatrician and my job is to give kids physicals, make sure that they are healthy, and give injections.

Mikey comes back a few moments later with IV supplies in hand, and says, "Luke is with another patient at the moment, but Ashton said that he'll be here in a few minutes, he just has to put something away". I nod my head and as gently as I can, I insert the IV into Sarah's arm. Once it's in place, I start her on fluids, and then start checking for injuries and illnesses. She didn't tell me what was exactly wrong, so I'm just going to have to check myself. I first check her breathing and heartbeat, and notice that her heartbeat is higher than it should be. I then check her eyes, ears, nose, and throat, and notice that her skin is really dry, and that it looks like her face has lost a lot of weight.

I'm starting to put the pieces together, and I really hope that I'm wrong, but I'll have to wait for Ashton before anything is confirmed. I then start feeling her stomach, and as I'm feeling it, I start crying. I can feel her ribs and her stomach is so sunken in that it feels alien. No one should be this skinny, and it makes me sad that my little sister has done this to herself. What makes it worse though is that I was clueless that it was happening right in front of me. If she would have just told me, then I could have helped her.

A few minutes into the exam and Ashton comes over. "What happened to her?" he asks me as he can see tears on my face. "Um, I think she has been starving herself and probably over exercising. I think she has anorexia", I tell Ashton as I start crying again from the guilt that's eating me up. Ashton pulls me into his arms and tells me that they are going to do everything they can to help her, and that she will get better. Ashton then proceeds to check Sara's nails, and look at her hair. "Her nails are really brittle, and her hair is dry and thin. Those are both common signs of anorexia. I'm going to give her some nutrients in her IV that she's been depriving herself of, and they will hopefully help her gain some weight. Mikey, you should also check her bones and see if they are brittle or not. Most anorexic people will have brittle bones and are more likely to break them. We really don't want that, so if she does have brittle bones she'll need calcium tablets until we can get her weight where it should be", Ashton tells us and Mikey starts checking her bones while I go get the nutrients that Ashton was talking about for her IV.

When I get back, I can see Sara just starting to wake up. I hand the supplies over to Ashton where he starts to hook them up to Sara's IV, and I grab her hand to let her know that I'm there for her, as well as to hopefully help calm her down. Sara's eyes open and panic is in them. She see all of us there and sees where she is and start to have a panic attack again. "Everyone out now!" I hear someone behind me say and I look around and see Luke walking through the door. "I said everyone out. She doesn't need this many people in her room, especially when she's in a place that's out of the normal for her", Luke says and we all get out. I'm really hoping that Luke can get through to her where I couldn't.