“I don’t know,” Kara hesitated.

            “You’ll be safe with me,” Ethan said.

            Kara’s heart accelerated in her chest. Those were the same words he used in her dream.

            “Let’s do it this weekend,” Shirelle said.

            Shirelle might not have been worried about what could happen if they got caught, but Kara was. If they got caught sneaking off campus and got expelled her father would kill her, and she’d probably never see Ethan or Shirelle or Irina again because he might kill them too.

            “Kara?” Ethan prompted.

            He was giving her that look again; the one he always gave her when he was trying to see inside her mind.

            “Okay,” Kara gave in.

            “All right,” Shirelle said. “This is gonna be so much fun.”

            Kara still didn’t think it was a good idea, but she couldn’t say no to her friends. Besides, something told her Irina wasn’t going to think it was a good idea either. Maybe then they’d have a way out of it, and she wouldn’t have to be worried anymore.

            Not only did Irina think sneaking out to go to Yosemite National Park was a good idea, but she was actually excited by it. Not even the fact that Solomon was going to be there worried her. So against her better judgment, Kara went along with them.

            They decided Friday was the best night to go since students would be coming and going for the basketball game. Not long after the game started, they all met outside the gym. Kara frowned to see that Solomon brought all of his boy entourage with him. The more people that went the more likely they were to get caught.

            “Don’t look so worried, Kara,” Solomon advised.

            “I’m not worried,” she lied, and he grinned at her.

            “You’ll keep our secret, won’t you boys?” Solomon said, looking from one boy to the next.

            It didn’t surprise Kara when they all nodded. Solomon seemed to have a knack for getting people to do what he wanted.

            “Shall we then?” Solomon said, and everyone began shuffling toward the front gate.

            Ethan fell in step beside Kara and slid his hand into hers. “It’ll be okay.”

            I know. I’m safe with you, Kara thought.

            “Yeah,” Ethan said.

            “Yeah, what?” Kara asked.

            “Yeah, it’ll be okay,” Ethan explained.

            “How are we getting there anyway?” Shirelle asked.

            “The same way all the teenagers in this mountain community get around,” Solomon answered.

            “Which means what?” Kara sighed, already tired of his word games.

            “We’ll hitchhike,” Solomon explained.

            “Is that safe?” Irina squeaked.

            “Sure it is,” Solomon said, slinging an arm around her shoulder and giving her a reassuring smile. “I’m told all the locals do it.”