110: Corona Borealis

Cover painting by Angela Taratuta. Chapter artwork of Hellbender by Melissa Zayas. All graphics by me.

Hellbender Hungerford stared hard at the luxurious spatters, whorls, and streaks of the stars above him, splayed across the blue and silver night sky in an impossible riot of light. The low-hanging half moon overpowered many of them, but the stronger ones were still there, shimmering defiantly in the cold, dimly lit darkness.

He'd often marveled at how far he'd come from home. Way out here in the never never, where he'd had to relearn everything, to where the rocks and the trees and the wild things were new and strange. He'd managed to disappear, to lose himself under a completely different sky. It had taken him a long time to fully understand that the Southern Cross was not ever going to appear over this land and the thought both terrified and exhilarated him.

The night of that epiphany had brought with it a lightness so complete he almost believed he could literally fly. He was homesick...but he was also free. Of everything.

He honestly had not really meant to run this far. But once he'd started, it was a long time before he could make himself stop. It had felt like flying, at least figuratively. And he hadn't wanted to come back to earth.

And here I buggering am again already, back on the trail. I think the Green is making me soft.

A dip in the sandy dirt that cushioned his bedroll was making his back ache a bit. He rolled over, shifting into a more comfortable position, and allowed his gaze to settle fondly on Miss Lil, slumbering in her bedroll.

I could probably get used to sticking around one place, if I had someone like her to come back to. And that's the dinkum oil. He smiled ruefully. She's a sweet little sheila, and we have a bit in common.

He stole a glance at Bari, sitting quietly near the smoldering embers of the fire with a shotgun beside him. I suppose it's ironic enough to happen that I'd find that bloody drongo making it complicated. Figures.

Still, don't have to worry about his skill in a fight. And that might come in buggering handy, before it's all said and done. He was pretty sure he'd come away from that last fight the two of them had had in the street with a concussion at the very least. And, he suspected, a separated rib or two and a sprained hand. He had ached for easily a month after.

He'd never made it to Abigail's that night. The thought troubled him even now. It's not like I can ever ask Abby what happened...but I have a pretty good idea. He and Bari had spent the night lying on the filthy bunks in the jailhouse, with Blackie and Doc Plunkett cursing at them. They'd very nearly lost their jobs over it. Bari had ended up vomiting from the pain of a bruised kidney, and despite the fact that Bender had pulled back just a bit on the force of the blow, he almost...almost....felt bad about the kick he'd delivered there.

At least, he did until the first time he'd tried to sit up after the adrenaline had worn off and found he couldn't. At that point, every groan from the other cell, every hiss of agony, every muttered oath and threat had sounded like sweet, sweet music to him.

Bari had meant well, he thought bitterly. But sometimes saying 'he meant well' is about the worst thing you can say about someone. Yarl beating the shit out of Heinrich Klaus would have been the perfect diversion. His eyes travelled quietly over the gentle curve of Lily's shoulder and hip under her blanket, at the spill of brown hair gleaming in the dull light of the embers. And Bari never stopped to consider the possibility that maybe Klaus needed the shit beat out of him by someone bigger, stronger, and stupider than he was.

He sighed, rolling back over onto his back and trying to close his eyes. It wouldn't do for him to be knackered and slow tomorrow. Too many thoughts jumbled through his mind, worries and fears and regrets that refused to quiet themselves. What are we riding into? Is anyone going to attack us? Who's behind this?

It was a rare thing when Bender felt vulnerable, but he had to admit to himself that he sure felt that way now. Lily's presence upped the stakes, made him feel like he had a target painted on his back. What if I can't protect her?

Her presence nearby only served to keep him keyed up. He'd love nothing better than to pull her against him and hold her till morning, feeling her delicious warmth seeping into his skin under the blanket.

You're really not doing anything to help yourself right now, mate.

Against his will, his mind went back to Miss Lil in the back of the wagon, Bari sleeping with his head in her lap, and the look of unmistakable panic on her face that night he couldn't breathe. He grimaced. Struth, I was in a bit of a panic, too...I might not like the bastard much, but I dont' want him dying on my watch...

He stared at the Northern Crown, glittering dimly above him in the silver-shot darkness.

Neither does Miss Lil. Jealously flared in his chest, unwanted and shameful. He tried to push it away, but it crowded his thoughts, souring his stomach. Balls. I've seen the way she looks at him. He's gonna end up hurting her...and when he does...I won't be pulling my punches anymore. Not even a bit

Thanks for reading! If you are enjoying this story, please let me know by giving me a star or a comment! I appreciate your support!