Chapter 24

|Hunter's POV

"My dad died."

My heart dropped. The sadness in her voice replayed in my mind as we reached our house. Before the car even stopped, I got out and ran towards Ella's house.

"Hunter!" I heard my mom yell from the car. I didn't answer her, instead I knocked on Ella's door and waited for an answer.

Collin answered the door. Without a word, he let me in and nodded his head towards the stairs, telling me she was upstairs. I thanked him and ran towards her room.

I walked into Ella's room and saw her throwing stuff into a suitcase. Her face was red and tears rolled down her face.

"Baby," I grabbed her arm and tried to stop her, but she shook me off.

"I have to go." Her voice was weak and shaky. "He can't be gone. I have to find him." She turned towards her closer and grabbed a bunch of clothes, throwing them onto her bed.

"Ella," I whispered and stepped towards her. She began to ramble about finding him, ignoring me. I grabbed her wrists and turned her towards me. Her sad eyes looked up at me and she started to breathe heavily. "Baby, you don't have to go anywhere."

"He's out there, Hunter. He can't be gone." She shook her head in disbelief before wrapping her arms tightly around my torso. She cried into my chest and repeated the words, "He can't be gone."

I rubbed her back and tried to calm her down. Her breaths became steady and she stopped crying.

"Promise me that you'll never leave me?" She asked and looked up at me.

"I promise." I smiled down at her and whipped the remaining tears off her cheeks.