Chapter 23

|Ella's POV

I looked out my window and saw Hunter giving Hayden a hug. Today, Hunter and Christine were taking her to the airport and staying until her flight left. I was glad she took their break up well, but still was mad at what she had said to me. I'll get over it soon, hopefully.

For the time being, I facetimed Alice for a bit and told her the big news; I was officially Hunter's girlfriend. She then told me her and Blake were getting a lot closer and how when he comes to visit, we'll go on a double date and do all this coupley stuff together. I laughed along with her crazy ideas and gave some of my own.

After about an hour of facetiming, we said our goodbyes. I went downstairs and saw Collin sitting on the couch.

"Ew, who let the rat in?" He teased and stood up. I flicked him off and walked into the kitchen. "Wanna order food? Mom and Jason won't be back until late. Again."

"Yea, sure. Chinese? I'm tired of pizza." I said and grabbed the takeout menu. He nodded and looked over the menu. As he was reading off the items, the doorbell rang. I walked to the door and opened it. There stood a man in a familiar white uniform. It was the uniform my dad wore when he left to go overseas, but the man wasn't my dad.

"Hello." I smiled up at him.

"Ella Caldwell?" He asked. I nodded as he handed me a folded piece of paper. I took the paper and unfolded it as Collin walked up behind me. I looked at the paper and read the full words:

Dear Caldwell family,
I, and all of the U.S. Military, regret to inform you of the passing of Brett James Caldwell..

My heart dropped. I handed the paper to Collin and ran to my room. I grabbed my phone and called the person I needed the most.

"Hey, Princess. I'm on my way home right now. What's up?" Hunter answered. I closed my eyes and leaned against my bedroom door.

"Hunter," I replied as tears began strolling down my face before I could stop them.

"Ella? Ella, are you okay?" He asked, worry filled his voice. I shook my head and slid against the door.

"My dad died."