Chapter 18

|Ella's POV

"Hey," Hunter said before sitting down in the swing next to mine.

"Hi." I replied, already getting worked up.

"I missed you," he kicked his feet and looked down at the dirt.

"I missed you too," I sighed and leaned my head against the chain lightly.

"I want to talk, especially about Hayden."

This was obviously the reason he called me here. It was probably the only reason why. I nodded him on, expecting to continue talking, but he just sat there. He sighed loudly and pushed himself back on the swing.

"I'm sorry. I can tell I hurt you." His voice sounded sincere. I closed my eyes, trying not to let out the tears that threatened to pour out. "I want to tell you everything. I really do, Ella. But right now, I don't want to hurt you more than I already have."

"You didn't hurt me, Hunter." I stood up and whipped my eyes. I faced him and shrugged. "I mean, you lead me on, made me believe that you actually liked me, told me to wait for you, then come back with a girlfriend. That doesn't hurt at all." I laughed to myself, realizing how pathetic I was for trusting someone I had just met with my whole life.

"Ell." Hunter's sad voice filled the air. I heard him stand up and walk towards me.

"Hunter, I just need to be alone. This is all too much. Ill talk to you tomorr-" I was cut off by Hunter's strong arms pulling me towards him. His soft lips crashed into mine. It felt like a weight lifted from my chest and I relaxed in the safety of his arms.

He pulled away and through the darkness, I could see his lips curl into a smile. "I'm sorry, I just needed a way to get you to shut up." I hit his arm lightly and laughed.

"Most cliche excuse ever, Hunter." I giggled before his lips found mine again.