Neighbours (2)

DeathlyFlames, thanks for the cover.  Everyone else, check it out over there --->

When they arrived home Bruno was sitting politely on the couch.  As soon as Anja entered, he jumped up and rushed out the door.  Mom he signed, craning his head to find her, Can I go outside?  I'm bored.

Raina smiled.  He was always asking to go in or outside whenever he got bored.  Fine but be good. she answered.  He dashed away and grabbed a ball before slipping out the front door.  With in moments he was hitting it against the wall in a game of handball.

What do you think of Michelle? Raina asked, turning to Anja. 

She's nice, she answered, unsure of exactly how she felt towards her new interpreter.  Her sign is silly.

You always said the same thing about your name sign.

Anja shrugged and walked up the stairs to her room.  Kristin stood in the living room, thinking, for several moments before she also went to her room.  Anja was sitting and looking out the window.  Unfortunately, this was only a view of their backyard and another house.  A few moments after Kristin had dug out her book Anja was tapping her on the shoulder.

How long do you think he will be before some of the neighbors come out and start asking what's wrong with Bruno?  she asked, referring to her brother.

Kristin shrugged.  It touched her that Anja was always trying to look out for their younger brother.  He probably won't notice. she answered.  With a nod, Anja returned to looking out the window. 

Several minutes later, the lights in the house flashed, meaning someone had rang the doorbell.  Before agreeing to move, Raina had insisted that the doorbell be fitted with lights instead of an actual bell.  Kristin and Anja shared a brief look before both girls ran down the stairs to answer the door.  Raina was already opening the door when they arrived. 

On the other side stood a blonde woman with a light blue tank top.  She smiled broadly when the door swung open.  Raina waived politely with a tiny smile in return.  Instantly the woman began talking rapidly.

Anja turned to her sister.  See, I told you they would want to know what's wrong, she signed quickly.

That's not-- Kristin signed back but Anja had already turned towards their room.  Instead, the woman was introducing herself and welcoming the new family to the neighborhood.

Kristin looked back to the door.  Her mother was shaking her head and trying to communicate that she could not hear.  After a brief pause to decide, Kristin walked down.  Want me to tell you what she's saying? Kristin asked.

No, Raina answered, but if you could stay here while I find paper that would be fantastic.  Kristin nodded and Raina walked away.

"What's going on?" the woman at the door asked, completely confused. 

"Mom's looking for a notebook," Kristin answered.  The dodge was necessary to keep from explaining why her mother needed a notebook in the first place.  They were quiet for a while.

"Is that your brother out front?" she asked when he ran behind them, chasing a ball. 

"Yeah,"

"What school is he going to?" the woman asked, trying to maintain the conversation.

"It's kinda far away," Kristin answered slowly, "Lexington."  Just as the woman began to look confused again, Raina reappeared with a notebook and a pen.

Thank you, Kristin, she signed before handing over the notebook.  It already had some delicate printing that would hopefully explain the situation, at least a little. 

The woman looked slightly confused but took the pen and wrote back.  While writing, she muttered the words under her breath.  "We live next door and have a son about the same age as yours.  I thought I should stop by to say hello," she whispered.

Raina returned the notebook a short time later.  How nice.  I am Raina.  My son in Bruno.  Would you like to come inside?  Sorry to make you use the notebook but I have misplaced my hearing aid.

The woman came in hesitantly and sat on the only open couch with Raina.  Boxes were still stacked around the room but they were diminishing day by day.  Kristin still stood nearby, feeling she would need to interpret when the woman became frustrated with writing.  They passed the notebook a few times before Raina tapped her daughter on the arm.

Where's your sister? she asked

My room, Kristin answered.

Tell her to come here. She needs to meet our neighbor.

She won't be happy, Kristin warned, she's been irritable lately.

Tell her to come here, Raina insisted. 

Obediently, Kristin skipped up the stairs to find her sister.  Anja was walking back and forth across her room, from bed to bed.  A book had been moved but it did not look as though she had done much reading.

What did they say? Anja said as soon as Kristin came in.

Nothing, Mom wants you to meet the neighbor.

Did they say anything about Bruno yet?

No, Mom says to go downstairs.

Anja followed Kristin down to what would become the living room as soon as the boxes were put away. The two women were still sitting exactly the same as when Kristin had left.  Anja began to fidget.  Raina daintily pushed a lock of brown hair behind her ear and handed the notebook to her daughter.

Introduce yourself, she instructed.

Anja bit her lip but obeyed, writing her name on a blank line.  Even though she knew she should, she excluded the phrase "nice to meet you".

When the notebook was returned it had an all-caps sentence that read 'I am Barbra, your neighbor.  My son is the same age as your brother.  I live in the yellow house"  When Anja looked up, Barbra pointed in the direction of her house with a cracked smile, showing she was just as nervous as Anja.   Anja passed the notebook to Kristin.

"I'm Kristin, nice to meet you," she said, signing it for her family's benefit.

Can I leave now?  I'm reading a book Anja said when her mother passed the notebook to Barbra.  Raina nodded and Anja dashed up the stairs.

Do you want me to stay here or leave? Kristin asked, unsure of the correct course of action.

If you want, you can stay.  In a few minutes, you'll have to ask your brother to come inside, her mother answered.    Kristin perched herself on the edge of the couch, next to her mother. 

True to her word, Kristin had Bruno come inside to meet his new neighbor.  He had already found a boy outside to play with.