Bleach and Bonds

Chapter 9: Bleach and Bonds

I'm led to Silas' four door sedan, my belongings tied down in the trunk and a bungee cord holding it shut. I'd had my backpack taken by the friendly giant moments before and placed into the back seat. The box with my contacts and paraphernalia sits on the floor near my feet.

I try to watch as Owen and Silas hold a short, silent conversation, but I zone out shortly after it starts when I'm not given any clues as to what they're discussing. Owen's red handkerchief appearing in front of my face snaps me out of the sleepy fuzz.

"You may want to clean your chin a little. I'll have to have a word with Dr. Green about sleeping on the job." Owen surprises me with a teasing millimeter smirk.

I look at the handkerchief he has pressed into my hand and am disturbed immediately when I realize this tiny bit of cloth is likely worth more than my entire wardrobe.

"Is this silk? I can't use this. I don't know how to get blood out of silk," I protest while trying to hand it back to Owen.

He takes the cloth back and walks to Silas' trunk. A few thumps later, and he's back with an unopened water bottle. His twists off the tap and dampens the silk before ducking back down into my side of the car. Instead of handing off the handkerchief as I expected, Owen gently dabs at my chin and split lip.

"There. Now you haven't used it. I have. Do enjoy the rest of your weekend, and give me a call if you need anything," Owen says, formally presenting me with a card containing his contact information.

"Thank you, Owen. Have a great weekend as well," I reply quietly and fasten my seatbelt once my door is closed.

Silas finishes up a few texts while we're sitting in the driveway, but I wish he would pull out already. I've seen the curtains twitch several times as people inside my old house watch me.

The back door of the car flies open, and Gabe climbs in. With my hand over my heart to keep it from jumping out of my chest, I turn to glare at him.

"You scared me, Meanie!" I shout.

"I couldn't let you move somewhere without me helping you fix up the place, Trouble," Gabe laughs. His electric blue eyes dance merrily.

I shake my head as I think about my future abode. I'm afraid that even someone as fashion conscious as Gabe can't make this place look more appealing.

"Where to, Aggele? Mr. B. says we have an hour and a half until we have to get back in case we need to stop at a store and buy anything for your new place," Silas asks, inadvertently tells me who he's been texting.

"In that case, take me to the Walmart on the north side of Charleston," I request, and Silas pulls out.

Gabe's filling the background with grumbles about cheap sh...um..shtuff at Walmart, but I don't really care. I don't start my job as a library assistant at the college for another two weeks, so I need to go easy on my funds.

"Si, we're being followed. Looks like one of the cars from Sang's old house," Gabe says with an edge to his voice.

I crouch down in my seat so I can peek through the gap of the seat back and headrest. Gabe is holding a compact up near his face as he watches behind us without turning. I suppose he doesn't want them to know that we've spotted them.

I turn forward and watch the rearview mirror. Sure enough, Mitch's car is following behind us by only two cars. What a noob. Everyone knows you need to put more space than that between you when tailing.

"Let's get rid of this guy before heading to the store. Gabe, green-line Mr. B, and let him know what's up. They should all still be at Nate's," Silas rumbles.