Chapter Two - "Momentarily . . ."

Start from the beginning

Terrified.

“Don’t look so worried. You look good,” Kayla said, interrupting my thoughts.

We weren’t friends anymore really, but we helped each other out. I don’t know what you’d call us, to be honest. Fitch was still the elephant in the room and we still couldn’t fully come to terms with each other, but that didn’t matter, because we never needed to deal with each other.

There was a knock at her door. Trey called in, “Come on guys. Fitch and Rick are already waiting downstairs.”

I hesitated, but stepped out of the room after Kayla. I didn’t need to look at Trey’s face to see the smile that crept up on his lips.

“You guys look great!” he exclaimed.

“Thanks Trey. You clean up good too,” Kayla complimented.

I gave him a smile, “Thanks.”

Ricky was seated in the driver’s seat of the truck, Kayla called shotgun and promptly climbed in the front.

“Fitch!” Trey yelled out, opening the back door of the car and slipping in.

Fitch stepped out of Benjamin’s office and froze when he saw me. I felt my heart skip a beat simply seeing the way that his dark shirt brought out the color of his eyes.

I gave him a small shrug, as his face broke into a grin.

“Hey,” he said, walking over. I think it was his shining eyes or maybe the grin, but I found that my discomfort was easing. He always managed to make me feel beautiful.

“Hi,” I replied, biting my lip to quell my grin.

“You guys gonna get in?” Kayla asked, popping her head out of the window.

“We could walk. It’s like six blocks,” Fitch said, not taking his eyes off me.

Kayla rolled her eyes.

“See you there,” Trey called, shutting the door as Ricky started the car.

As they eased out of the auto shop, I raised my brows, “You want to walk,” I stated.

He pulled off his jacket and wrapped it around my shoulders; “I just wanted you to myself for a few minutes.”

I smiled, “As opposed to three people in a car?”

“And like a thousand people in a club,” he added, taking my hand and pulling me towards the exit.

It still surprised me how lively the city was at past midnight on a weekday. I mean, didn’t people have to work in the morning?

“So, what now?” I asked as we walked on.

“We could go back,” he said, amusement in his eyes.

I stopped in my tracks, “You don’t want to go? I’m only here because of you.”

“I do. You just . . . you look so hot, and I’m not going to be the only one that thinks so,” he said, pulling me along.

I felt my heart rate speed up, and not in a great way. If I wasn’t nervous before, now I certainly was. My silence must have given me away, because Fitch nudged me with his shoulder, “What?” he asked.

“Nothing,” I replied, a little too quietly, so I repeated, “nothing.”

“Chloe, come on. Tell me,” he said.

“It’s nothing. I’m just a little nervous,” I replied.

He smiled slowly, turning to face me.