Part 15

It is difficult to judge the passage of time when there is an absence of natural light, but I knew it definitely wasn't morning when I was awakened by soft arguing.

"I don't know Skylar, the plans aren't finished!" Jack whisper-yelled.

"I just need to know this final detail!" A female voice - Skylar, I assumed - pleaded.

"I've explained this, we don't know yet and we can't afford to take any risks. You'll have to wait just like everybody else," Jack stated, an air of finality to his voice.

"Fine, but you'll need to notify me as soon as the plans are finalised," Skylar huffed. Footsteps echoed through the hall as she retreated. A dull thud sounded through the wall before Jack entered. I could clearly view his silhouette against the door; his form slumped resignedly against the cool metal.

"I know you're awake," he murmured.

I whispered a reply, "What was all that about?"

"It's nothing important," Jack evaded my question. "How much did you hear?"

"Just the end, but what was it that Skylar wanted?" I prodded for an answer from Jack.

"Nothing," Jack snapped, "just... business." I watched as Jack's silhouette removed the boots he had been wearing, leaving them against the doorframe.

"I don't trust Skylar," I remarked, shifting slightly on the firm mattress of my bed.

"You've never met her," Jack pointed out, even in pitch-darkness I could still tell he was smiling.

"And?" I countered, "Can't I trust my instincts?"

"Go back to sleep April," Jack chuckled. And, just like that, the conversation was over. Soft rustling sounded as Jack went about preparing himself for bed. The springs in his bed groaned when he lowered his weight onto them.

"Goodnight, again," I whispered.

"Night," Jack yawned, the bed protested loudly as he rolled over. Within minutes the boy was asleep, his soft snores filling the air, leaving me alone with my demons. Skylar knew something I didn't, a vital piece to the puzzle that is the Lab. What were they hiding? As I ran my mind over the dilemma slowly the prospect of sleep tempted me back into its dark embrace, the argument between Jack and Skylar forgotten, at least for tonight.

"Come on April! Time to rise and shine!" Jack shouted enthusiastically.

"Five more minutes," I groaned, pulling the thin bed sheets over my head.

"Nope!" Jack declared, yanking away my protective covering.

"Go away!" I whined, voice muffled by the pillow I'd jammed over my face in place of the threadbare blanket.

"We scheduled an early morning run," Jack informed, "don't let me down here Winters."

"Fine," I grumbled, rubbing sleep from my tired eyes. Halfheartedly I rolled out of bed, yawning widely.

"Here," Jack threw a clean shirt at my face. My reflexes hadn't kicked in yet and the rumpled fabric hit me dead on.

"Thanks," I murmured as I pulled the garment from my head.

"Get changed! We're leaving in five minutes!" Jack was far too energetic for the current hour. He was mere seconds away from bouncing up-and-down on the bed in anticipation.

"Leave the room and I'll consider getting ready," I responded. Jack's energy was contagious and I was forced to stifle a smile.

"Alright," he groaned. "Four minutes!" Jack called over his shoulder as he left the room, closing the door softly behind him.