No Buts.

At this rate, he really was going to die before being able to confess himself to her. 

Itachi sat in a comfortable thrum of quiet with a cup of tea in his hands. Kabuto was sat in seat beside him and Kakuzu, the owner of such a pristine apartment took up the love seat. It was the first time in a long while where he had such companionable silence with other people. The past few weeks were filled with nothing but boisterous blather and traumatizing episodes of Kunoichi Diaries. Honestly, what did they see in that trash?

Not to mention the horrible attempts he made at trying to express feelings he was far from used to.

"Why is it that you haven't tried talking to her?"

Itachi glanced at Kabuto.

"Pardon?" he questioned. The man pushed up his glasses, light glinting off them the tiniest bit.

"Talking. What normal people do," he said. "It's one of the simplest means of communication and honestly, you can't mess up speaking if you truly want to get your point across to her. Sakura-sama isn't a person entranced by extravagant displays. Women have the stigma of wanting to be swept off their feet or being materialistic. You know that's not the truth, don't you?"

Kakuzu flipped a page of his accounting book as he added his two cents.

"Half the world's problems could be solved if people just talked to each other. Besides, Sakura-sama is a Kage. She built this village with her own sweat and blood-- I doubt she'd care for clever messages hidden in coding or chocolates on Valentine's Day. If she knows you love her, that's bound to be enough."

The Uchiha was rooted to his seat.

It was literally that simple.

He pinched the bridge of his nose and allowed himself a sigh. Becoming an Otogakure shinobi must have tampered with his logical thinking if he chose to listen to his dumbass friends over reason. Well, friends was stretching it.

"And you didn't think to remind me of this because...?"

Kabuto gave him a blank stare.

"I need to entertain myself somehow, don't I? Not all my pleasure in life derives from giving Sakura-sama paperwork," he said. His lips quirked up at Itachi's wholly unamused demeanor, "But even I think this has gotten sad enough. Take a look at this."

He held out a mission scroll to the prodigy who took it with a raised brow.

"Sakura-sama is going to Nadeshiko Village for diplomatic reasons in a few days. Kisame-san's not able to take it up like he normally is, and Kakuzu-san and I have to stay here and maintain office. I was generous enough to slate you for the duty of being her escort on a mission that will, in fact, be finished well after her birthday. She'll have no one to celebrate the day with but yourself," Kabuto explained. Itachi didn't have to strain his ears to hear the underlying message of 'don't screw this up' in his instruction.

He stood and pocketed the scroll.

"I will prepare for the assignment. I appreciate the help, Kabuto-san. Kakuzu-san."

Before he could make a move out of the apartment, Kabuto set his pen on his clipboard as he placed it on the low table.

"Itachi-san," he called. The man turned. "If you truly love her, I hope you love her scars as well."

His brow furrowed. Scars? He was sure Sakura had plenty of them. She was an able-bodied shinobi who had rigorous training sessions with Kisame and Kakuzu every other weekend and had scared the village when she and her right-hand were abducted to be tortured in the name of revenge. He'd be surprised if she had none whatsoever even if she was a talented medic.