Ignoring her warning, I glance behind me and meet his electrifyingly blue eyes. Normally, I'd offer a flirty smile, but I seem momentarily unable to move under his gaze.

He takes over the smiling for me, before turning away and freeing me from my frozen state.

"Swoon," Ginger sighs, before being silenced by a glare from me and Coach Myers' whistle.

"Alright everyone, run two laps around the track to warm up, and then I'll tell you what we're doing today," he announces, earning a collective groan from most of my class.

Everyone lines up on the starting line, waiting in near silence for the coach to blow his whistle, aside from the clipped whispers of a few select students.

Competitive and confident in my ability to outrun anyone in this class, I'm off the second the whistle sounds, quickly putting space between myself and the rest of the class. My feet hit the ground in a steady rhythm, and I count the beats methodically in my head the way some count sheep.

As I focus on my footsteps, my mind wanders, and it takes me a moment to notice that someone is gaining ground on me. I pick up my speed, trying to lose them. Part of me wants to glance over my shoulder to see who has managed to keep up with me, but I decide against it, not wanting to lose any ground.

I'm nearly done with my first lap when the boy, who I know recognize as Tyler, overtakes me, placing a good few strides between us. I speed up, trying to pass him.

This continues for the duration of the lap. As we approach the finish, he is a few strides ahead of me. Being the competitive girl I am, I launch myself forward, managing to pass him just meters before I finish.

Once I've slowed to a stop, I turn to look at him.

"You're not bad," he says, his cheeks vaguely tinged pink, either from exercise or nerves. Or perhaps a little bit of both.

I pause, the flirty grin on my face faltering at the innocence in both his words and on his face. I'm used to be ogled and riddled with innuendos, but his intonation holds no double meaning. His eyes aren't ravishing my body in that animal-like way most boys do, and I feel suddenly dirty flirting with him; his blue eyes are pure, and I'm afraid if I look into them too long, I'll taint them.

I quickly regain my composure, a small smile forced onto my face.

"You're cute," I state.

Before he has a chance to reply, the coach blows his whistle and calls us into a game of kick ball, and all thoughts of Tyler and his azure eyes are forgotten.

***

"I need an espresso, a cappuccino, and a tiramisu," Brett says, and I quickly go about getting them together, before handing them to him to take to their respective tables.

The bell that hangs on the front door rings, and I look over to see Jace walking in. I smile and wave at him, and glance at the clock.

"Look at you, a productive member of society," he chuckles, approaching the counter.

"Haha, very funny," I reply, rolling my eyes. "Did you come here to make fun of me?"

"Actually, I came in for a cup of coffee. When's your next break?"

"In five minutes. Can you wait?"

"Of course."

After I finish up with my current tables, and bring two coffees two the table Jace has claimed, I tell Trinity I'm taking my break, and go sit down with Jace.

"So, what's up?" I ask.

"I have the same question for you," he replies.

I grasp my mug in my hands, a subtle frown appearing on my face. "What do you mean?"

"The new kid?"

"What about him?" I ask nonchalantly.

"Another guy wanting a date?"

"I don't know," I say honestly. "But I don't think I could go out with him. He's different. I'd feel bad using him."

"Then don't." When I tilt my head in confusion, he laughs and says, "I know this may be shocking to you, but some people actually go on dates looking for a relationship."

I feign a gagging noise, and shake my head.

"And those people are stupid."

"Do you two want anything else?" Trinity asks as she makes her rounds.

"I wouldn't mind a croissant," Jace says, a nervous smile on his face.

I shake my head when Trinity looks to me, covering my mouth to hide my smile. As soon as she goes off to her next table, I turn to Jace, a silly grin on my face.

"You should ask her out!"

"Grace!" he shushes. "Be quiet!"

"What? You should."

"You are in no place to offer relationship advice."

I stick out my tongue at him. "Hey- she's a sweet girl, and you're not bad to look at. You two would probably hit it off."

"I'll ask her out if you go out with the new kid," he challenges.

I purse my lips, leaning back in my chair.

"Touché."

XOXO