Chapter Twelve: Attosecond

"...and a few cracked support beams. The total ends up being a couple million dollars in damages." Wedlock finished reporting. His dull doe-brown eyes filled with concern as he raised his head from his clipboard and gazed straight into Edison White's pure green eye.

"Jason's not going to be too happy about this." White said as he stroked his chin as if he had a beard.

"Don't worry about Captain Cortex, Human Robot." Reality cracked a smile. The mood needed to be lifted. "He's just going to have a headache when he finds out how we managed to break a compound located in the heart of Hillbilly Hell."

They both chuckled, Jason's powers were mind based, and he was too busy fighting Zero and the rest of the Department of Crime. When this passed into their minds White admitted, "We're going to have to take him out of the field. The only problem is getting a replacement. He has been the sole offensive unit here for nearly seven years. He's the only one who's smart enough to defeat Zero."

"Except for Duncan." Reality interjected.

"Duncan? Duncan Cass?"

"Yeah, he was the one who took out the infiltrators, at Mach eleven! He's only just learned about his powers, so I developed a theory. What if Duncan were to move faster than Zero could think."

"Wedlock that's crazy. Zero thinks faster than twelve attoseconds! It's the fastest measurable unit, and he breaks the scales of it. What do you want him to do? If you let him move faster than the speed of light, we have no clue what would happen!"

"That,s" Wedlock explained with a grin, "That's why we try. To see how valuable Duncan can be. We found that his thinking is proportional to his speed, so the faster he moves, the faster he thinks. That's also why everything appears like it's slowed down when he goes supersonic."

"Listen, Wedlock" White said in a calmer tone, "I'm not for this."

The room was quiet as they both looked down. White continued, "But, if he wants too, we will. He might be the best thing we have to offer right now, I know, but I've lost my childhood for this, back in the Inspiration Days, with Good Hood, Tick-Tock, Fracture, Awestruck, and the others. I don't want him having to give up his childhood like I did."

"Ed, he gave it up when he climbed in the Sound-Breaker."

There was another silence.

"Just talk to him." White gestured his hand at the door. Morrison stood and walked out of the office and down the hall.