Chapter Ten: Power

"What's it like?" Nick asked. "Going super sonic, I mean."

"Everything slows down but you." I explained. The nine of us sat at a table in the end of the main part of the compound while we laughed and talked. I hadn't really learned much about them other than Luke and Nick were brothers, and Zak and Noah are cousins. I really had no idea why I was having such a good time with people I knew nothing about.

"I have to say," said Luke, "your powers are cooler than mine."

The group laughed in agreement except for me; it went way over my head. When they noticed my confusion, Hazel explained, "Luke has the ability to climb walls and communicate with small animals."

"And I get really tired in the winter." Luke added and, this time, we all laughed. When the laughing died down, it grew silent, dead silent.

Finally, Hazel broke the quiet when she asked me, "Do you know any of our powers?"

"No." I answered. "Other than your scarlet skin, you all look like normal people."

Hazel grinned, "Well, that's not all I can do. My power is to change the color of my skin to a normal tone. I'm also able to form a layer of skin over my face to hide my identity."

Suddenly a thick layer of skin rose up, over her face for a second before it came back down. Hazel turned to Albert and asked, "Do you want to go next?"

"Sure" Albert shrugged and stood. "I don't have any powers. I really don't. Instead, I found this cool glove," He rose his hand to reveal a metallic, metal glove. "And now, it won't come off. Turns out, It is able to create wormholes when I want it to. I can also shoot plasma balls and a bunch of other stuff."

He sat down and nodded at Nick, "Your turn." 

Nick stood up, "I'm strong and I can control large animals."

Without even waiting for Nick to sit, Noah jumped up and started, "I can break my body down into 'dust-like' molecules and rearrange them into whatever I want." He went on to finish up the group, "Zak can become a cloud and strike people with super charged lightning, Jared can manipulate anything, literally, and I don't really know what Christal can do."

"Nobody does." Zak added. Christal just looked down at her ring, which she examined in her hands. There was another silence. This one was more of an awkward silence. People bustled around behind us, blowtorches blazing and tools cranking. I stood up and walked over to one of the nearest workbenches. Unknown technology cluttered the steel top.

"The world won't see this technology for years." Jared shouted my direction from the table. he pointed to another bench a few feet away, "That stuff is for your suit."

I lumbered over to the bench. It was covered with different variations of shoes and belts with a bodysuit folded and tucked in the back of the bench. It looked interesting enough considering I've never had anyone made me shoes that I haven't had to buy at the store. 

Things might actually be nice here.

Then, in the distance, there was an explosion.