Broken

"Hoosiers is not only the best basketball movie ever. It is the best sports movie ever made." 

"No." The three of us were seated in Lydia's car, with me shoved in the back- as usual. We were parked outside of a video rental shop and arguing over what movie to watch. For once, Jackson and I agreed on Hoosiers, mainly because our combined hatred for Lydia's usual choice- the Notebook. She was not having it.

"It's got Gene Hackman and Dennis Hopper." I argued. 

"No." 

"Lydia I swear you're gonna like it." 

"No." 

"I refuse to watch the fucking notebook again." I yelled. Lydia turned a little in her seat and sent me a pointed look.

"This is the least you can do for ignoring me for the last couple weeks. And on top of that, you didn't even tell me you had a boyfriend! So you're gonna go into that store with Jackson and you're gonna rent the Notebook." I let out a beaten sigh and pushed myself up, exiting the car with a frown on my face. Jackass followed and the two of us walked into the store in silence. It was empty, the phone ringing off the hook and a broken light flickering ominously.

"Can somebody help me find the notebook? Hello? Is anyone working here?" Jackson called out, but to no avail. The place was quiet, freakishly so. He let out a sigh and turned to me with a hard expression. "Are you dating Derek Hale?" He asked. I immediately grew cautious. He knew something was not human about Scott and if he knew who Derek, another non human, was it couldn't be good.

"What's it to you?" I avoided the question, meandering through the isles. He followed me, voice growing louder.

"The asshole dug his fingers into the back of my neck okay? It's like he had talons! There's something up with him!" I rolled my eyes, staying silent as Jackass ranted. We walked further into the store until I caught sight of something and stopped in my tracks, making Jackson bump into me. "What the fu-" 

I shushed him, pointing towards a pair of feet that were visible from behind a case. We shared a horrified look and crept forward until we could see around it.

I let out a strangled gasp. A man lay on the ground, his throat ripped out by claws. A pool of blood surrounded him and his eyes stared up, empty. His death matched a drawing I had done in the library at school yesterday, luckily out of anyone's view. After getting no leads as to who he was from my friends, I'd had to drop it, knowing there was nothing I could do. Jackson stumbled backwards, his back hitting a latter. His hand gripped mine, pulling me back onto him as he fell to the ground. The broken light swung down, smashing into the ground a mere foot away from us. The store went dark, the rest of the lights beginning go flicker or die all together. 

We scrambled to our feet, ready to run but something stopped me, some sort of feeling. I turned around slowly, Jackson in suit. A black figure was crouching near the back door, letting out ravenous breaths. The alpha. I stared at it, all of the color leaving my face. It seemed more real than it had that night in the woods, more dangerous. It's eyes glowed an unearthly red, fixed on the two of us. 

Jackson grabbed my jacket, throwing the two of us behind a shelf, as if that would save us. The store grew quiet. After a few seconds without any sounds from the Alpha I craned my head to look out into the aisle. All seemed clear until a black shape flashed near us. I quickly jerked my head back and let out a shaky breath. Jackson and I shared a horrified look, gripping each other's hands tightly. I may have hated the ass but in a time like this, any human contact was reassuring. A couple DVDs fell from the shelf as some sort of force blew by it. I let out a little squeak and went to look out again.