Present~Part 10

I had no idea how long I was in the cell across from the little Elf girl, Harlot. She told me a bit about herself while we drowned in anticipation and boredum. It turns out her father had been the greatest hitman known to the Elf World,  but he was killed by Dracula himself. Harlot explained that she had been trained in the arts of assassination at a very young age, but limited herself from using her abilities. She claimed she didn't agree that it was okay to kill for money like her father did. 

"If you're going to kill someone," She scoffed. "You better have a good reason for it." 

"And to you money isn't a good reason?" I verified. 

She nodded with a pout, and went back to filing her nails with a sharp piece of rock she had pulled from the wall.

Vampire Knights came walking up and down the hallway every so often while we waited endlessly for nothing. Some were serious about their work, while others came in packs as they laughed to themselves about mindless things. A few gave me dirty looks, but no one paid much attention to the small Harlot. I caught on to the fact that not many female vampires passed, but one caught my attention. 

She was about Harlot's age, except more pampered for a lady. She wore a long, frilly, silver dress and her auburn hair was tied back with a bow. Her doll-like facial feature was a contrast to Harlot's boyish face, but her scent gave away the fact that she was a vampire. She walked with a delicate step and peered thoughtfully into each cell. 

Harlot ignored her and went on filing her nails with not so much as a glance to the beautiful girl. When she looked into my cell, something flickered in her eyes and she quietly gasped. 

"Ma'am," I asked politely. "What time is it?" 

The girl jolted as if suprised that I had spoken to her, and she ruffled her skirts to sit down in front of the bars. I needed to know, and she looked kind enough to tell me. Harlot was scowling on the other side as she eyed the girl's detailed dress. 

"It's late," The girl replied to me as the tips of her ears went pink. "The moon is high." 

Feeling chivalrous, I tipped my head with respect. "Thank you." 

"You're very nice to be in such a damp and ugly place," The girl continued with a British accent. She reminded me much of Alice from Alice in Wonderland. "Tell me, what is a boy like you doing down here?" 

A boy? I glanced awkwardly at Harlot who was still focused on the ribbons of the bouncy dress. 

"What do you mean?" I questioned, lowering my voice. 

The girl blinked a few times. My eyes drifted towards a choker on her neck with the same symbol the guards had on their uniforms. An X. She continued to stare at me, confusion in her eyes, and finally she jumped back up.

"How can you be the Slenderman," She wondered outloud. "If your appearance is so human-like? Did they make a mistake?" 

"How does he look to you?" Harlot piped up, her thick, maybe Scottish accent, crushing the delicacy of the other girl's accent. She had raised an eyebrow at the sophisticated girl and I could tell she was questioning her sanity as well. 

"He's a boy," The girl explained with one hand on her hip. "With longish, dark blonde hair and these sky blue eyes that are so full of life. He's got fair skin and a freckle on his jawbone." 

Harlot eyed the girl as though she was crazy, but the way she described me made me think of the first time I had met Ally. She had said the same things, minus the freckle. Before my heart could begin to twist and turn with the yearning for Ally, I murmured: 

"Ally said the same thing when we first met,"

"Ally's the girl my father has in his ice," The girl commented.  

My eyes drifted to meet the girl's, and she stared at me horrified. I couldn't tell if it was because her father had someone imprisoned, or maybe it was the fact that the face she described was the one underneath the white mask. Harlot jumped up and broke the tension between the girl and I. 

"You're the princess?" Harlot howled, and she dramatically banged her forehead onto the bars of her cell with frusteration. 

Surprised by Harlot's behavior, the princess stepped back. "Princess Elaina, daughter of Dracula, the king of the vampires and head of the Court." Her voice quivered as she watched Harlot's display. 

In awe, I stared at Elaina. "You're nothing like your father." 

She turned to me and gave me a grin large enough where I could see her small fangs. "I was adopted." 

"She could help us, Slendy!" Harlot burst, her girlish voice echoing down the halls. 

Elaina turned to face Harlot this time and I held a finger up to my lips to try and silence the young Elf girl. Elaina's eyes were wide with curiousity at what Harlot had said, and I wondered if maybe my cellmate had a good idea after all. 

"She could ask her dad to let you go," Harlot explained, ambition in her eyes. "She'll tell him how you're destined to become human and live a life with All-" 

"It won't happen." The princess interuppted sadly. 

Harlot crossed her arms over her chest. "And why not?" 

"He's very stubborn," Elaine mumbled. "Sometimes I don't even think he likes me at all." 

Silence followed after that. I wondered if Dracula was really so ruthless he hadn't bothered to care for his own daughter. Adopted or not, he should give her some sort of compassion. Harlot and I eyed the princess carefully. She seemed to get lots of care, but maybe it was from the wrong source. Harlot was staring at the princess with a different type of feeling; not loathing, not sympathy, but instead maybe longing. 

"But," Elaine interjected, breaking the silence.  "I will help you." 

"How?" I asked as hope began to build up in my chest. 

"I'm on the Higher Court's jury," She giggled. "Without my say, the charge of guilty will not pass due to the fact that not all jurors agree."