Past~Part 3

The creature's heart was racing as he stormed to the edge of the forest. He'd promised the little girl, Ally, that he'd meet her the very next day. 

He was jumpy with excitement. The girl had shed some light into his very dark life. He wondered if he'd have the opportunity to see her everyday. He wondered if maybe he'd watch her grow up in the shadows. He wondered if she'd ever know that he had saved her life years ago. 

On the edge of the tangly trees, the creature rested. He sat on a large boulder and stared out of the brush. The house sat where it always had and the heat from the inside bounced off of it. It was a chilly, but bright, day. The sun was out and the sky was clear. The creature was unable to keep himself from looking up. 

Ever since the day before, his sky had become a different color. It was what Ally called blue, and it was beautiful. He loved it and the sight gave him a sliver of hope over his existance. Turning the black and white world into a colored photograph could change his life. It could maybe even change his form. The creature dreamed of becoming human and living among the humans, like Ally. 

He thought about her. She still had a round baby face, even if her body was frail. Her eyes, as round as saucers, were filled with light. He thought about her childish dress and her red rubber boots. He thought about her dark hair falling down her back. 

A small voice interuppted his thoughts. "Sam? You in there?" 

The creature looked all around until he spotted Ally. She was clutching a small duffel bag in her hand and someone had put a red ribbon in her hair. 

"Here," The creature said quietly, waving one long arm. 

Ally grinned and rushed over to him. She unzipped her bag and chatted along about all the things she had brought. 

"I've got some juice, a blanket, some mittens, a bear," She lifted up her stuffed teddy proudly. "And a flashlight incase there's a cave." 

The creature was experiencing something strange. It felt like his heart was fluttering around in his ribcage and a strange noise was coming out. 

Ally looked hurt. "Why are you laughing?" 

Laughing. The word echoed in the creature's mind. "Oh, I think you're just so well prepared is all." 

The pained look was wiped off of Ally's face and was replaced with that heartwarming smile. She urged him to get up and they started to walk down the long path. The creature towered over Ally, and he was embarrassed. She might not've seen him so tall, but he was still self-consious about it. 

"Do you live in the forest?" Ally asked curiously. 

"In a way." The creature replied, although he didn't really know the answer. 

"Do you have a family?" She questioned. 

"No." The creature answered  blandly. It was the horrid truth. 

"Oh." Ally sounded disappointed with that. 

There was a short silence, but Ally's mind never stopped wondering.

"Do you think you're different?" She asked, but her tone had changed. 

The creature nodded. "Yes, everyone is different." He tried to explain. "I'm just unusual." 

Ally visibily bit her lip. "Miriam says that you're different," She paused. "That you aren't like me or her." She crinkled her nose. "But I think you're just the same as anyone else." 

The creature was puzzled. Could this woman, Miriam, understand his very being? His mind plunged into wonders and confusion, but Ally was there to pull him out. 

"She says you aren't human." She stated.

They both stopped on the path. Ally grasped the creature's hand and looked up at him.

"Come here." The creature managed to say.

He led her to a nearby log, sat down, and gestured fo her to sit next to him. She did so and sat her fluffy duffel onto her lap. Her large eyes blinked at the creature, but it only made him even more unsteady. His mind swirled as he tried to fit the words together. 

"You see me.. Differently." The creature began. "My form, isn't really how you see it." 

Ally raised an eyebrow and cocked her head to one side. "Than what does it really look like?" 

The creature cleared his throat. His heart was beating in his chest and fear ran through his veins. He worried that if Ally was frightened by his actual appearance, she could leave him. Run away from him, screaming and crying, like everyone else who had approached him before. 

"Sam?" Her tiny voice asked.

"I'm tall, very tall, and my arms and legs are quite long and skinny." The creature described quickly. "I wear this black suit with a black tie and shoes with a white shirt underneath." 

Ally thought a bit and looked the creature over. Her eyes lit up suddenly, but the creature didn't notice in time. He started talking again. 

"My face, is just white. White and blank like marble. I wander the forest, always alone, and when someone comes along they scream and hide. I don't mean harm. They-" The creature took a breath. Another strange thing was happening to him. 

He was feeling water down his face. He brought up one bony hand to his face and wiped some of it away. Ally was digging through her bag beside him and managed to give him some tissues. She told him to stop crying. 

Crying. It was a strange sensation to the creature. It was as if all of his feelings burst, and flowed out from his eyes as teardrops in globs of hurt and sadness. 

"They yell, 'Slenderman!'" The creature finished. He buried his face in his hands, something he'd seen humans do before. "What is that anyway? They seem frightened, but that isn't who I am." 

Ally was quiet for a moment. She leaned closer to him, and the creature turned to look at her angelic face.

"You aren't Slenderman because you feel, and I'm not scared of you one bit." She smiled kindly. "Besides, you're Sam of course."

Ally was his angel. The creature sat up, overjoyed and spilling over with thick tears. For a young girl, Ally was mature. She wiped away his tears and told him about what was great about him. She told him that he was sweet, and that the kids at her school called her a freak too. 

The creature was at ease with himself. He thanked Ally, over a million times for hearing him out. 

"So you aren't human?" Ally pondered. 

The creature shook his head. 

"Strange," She murmured. "You seem perfectly human to me." 

"That's something I haven't figured out yet." The creature answered to this. "No one has ever seen me the way you have." 

Ally giggled to herself. "That makes me first!" 

"The first." The creature agreed.