04 | returns

Author's Note: At this point, I'm just trying to finish this story within the deadlines, so I apologize if it's not very good like the first two chapters were (especially since all the holidays after Christmas are before the twentieth of each month, so that's less time to write). If this story disappoints, then just know that's it's written only in good fun and there's no need to be rude about it because chances are, I probably agree with what you have to say already.

With that being said, here's the penultimate chapter of Post Office.

04 • returns

Whatever force was involved in getting me out of bed, it did exceptionally well. Maybe because something about everything was like a sign and all signs were pointed to "yes," that Blaise and I could withstand just about anything. The distance was one thing, but I left it all in the past now. Blaise would always be a shaking presence in my life, but for the first time in years, he was still here while the ground had stilled.

It felt good to walk on it, even just to walk with him on my way to back to our building after watching a movie, Blaise's arm over my shoulder as I told him how predictable it was, that the hero was always an underdog who had to go out and prove himself (because much more often than not, it was a guy) to the world as well as the leading lady by saving her countless times. They were enjoyable movies, of course, but that didn't excuse how recycled the plots of them were.

"But that's the only important thing," Blaise whined and I could feel his arm release me, no longer holding me close to him. "I honestly can't believe you, this is ―" he trailed off in search for the right words ― "ridiculous."

I rolled my eyes. "Doesn't it bother you, though? You've basically watched the same movies over and over again."

Blaise shrugged as we continued on. "Not really. All stories are the same as long as they begin and end. That's like saying you only have to watch Pride and Prejudice to know what's going to happen in A Good Day to Die Hard. You just can think of it either as a new adventure each time or a waste of time. It's your choice, Lottie."

There was something profound about his words that I couldn't place. And while it could've meant that he didn't think much of them either and that we were just talking about movies, it didn't feel like it.

Especially when it didn't slip my notice that his arm draped itself over my shoulder. Some things were impossible to let go of, and other things were impossible to hold onto ― it was the dichotomy of all things worth caring for. Worth keeping.

Being held so close to Blaise, feeling so surprisingly contented around him, there just might've been a part of me that thought he was.

♕ ♕ ♕

I didn't even know how to describe what I was feeling, which was a sad thing considering how I felt as if all weights lifted from my shoulders. But I was feeling it as I woke up and it felt amazing. Maybe because it was the day before Valentine's day and considering my track record with Blaise for the past few weeks, it was safe to say I could count on him to at least ask me out or surprise me with an interesting gift, maybe even from the antique store he had taken me to on Christmas.

Even better, he might even kiss me. This time we didn't need the letters, he could say he won post office for all I could care. Maybe for once, things would be genuine. No games, no gimmicks, just sparks.

My friends seemed to be singing a different tune however by the way they looked at me in confusion after I confessed everything to them.

"So let me get this straight," Hayley said, this time with none of her cheerfulness or hopelessness, but a serious face I could only imagine on Rachel out of the two of them. "You think Blaise might like-like you? As in no longer just kissing him, but relationship material."