twenty ↠ 48

i've been settling scores

i've been fighting so long

but i've lost your war

and our kingdom is gone

how shall i win back

your heart which was mine

i have broken bones and tattered clothes

i've run out of time

Pentatonix | Run To You

Mitch Grassi's POV

It's been hours, yet it seemed like days. I texted Kirstie, Kevin and Avi earlier, telling them to just come to this hospital, not even saying anything else. Avi spammed me, Kirstie tried to call me multiple times and I assumed that Kevin was coming here, like I told him to.

I refused to leave Scott's room, even when they threatened for security, but the nurse that had helped me, the girl one, she told them to leave me be, and that was the end of that. My chair was right by Scott's bed, because I didn't want to let go of his hand. Sure, I physically hurt, but it wasn't anything I couldn't handle. I stared at Scott with puffy eyes, tear stained cheeks and a horrified demeanor. "Scott, I know you're in there," I sighed. "And you suck for leaving me like this. Ugh, maybe I should've told you something was wrong. Maybe that would've prevented this entire thing, and of all sides, it had to be yours?"

"I can just imagine you coming out of your coma and acting like nothing even happened, that it was no big deal that you're kind of unconscious right now, when this is the worst thing that has ever happened to me. God, you're such an asshole. But you're my asshole," I groaned, taking his cold, lifeless hand and squeezed it. 

"You liked my singing, didn't you? What if I sang for you? Would that help you feel better? I hope so," I murmured, playing with his long and pale fingers. Softly, I began to sing some song I heard on the radio, and I assumed it was called "Run To You" since they constantly repeated it.

"A light in the room

It was you who was standing there

Tried it was true

As your glance met my stare

But your heart drifted off

Like the land split by sea

I tried to go, to follow, to kn--"

Someone opened the door, so I stopped and immediately looked, relieved to see Kirstie, Kevin and Avi. Kirstie was obviously crying.

The first thing they had done was come to my side and hug me as tight as they could, then let go after two agonizing minutes, looking over to Scott, only making Kirstie burst into tears again. "Shh," Avi mumbled, grabbing her and embracing her as she shrank into his arms, clutching his shirt. I looked down at Scott and I's entwined hands. He didn't even know about Avi and Kirstie yet, or if they were even a thing. I think she's still choosing between him and Jeremy. "Mitch," Kevin said. I looked to him, "What?"

"I'm sorry," he said a little quietly, looking from me to Scott. I nodded, "I am too. I feel like I caused this," I whispered the last part. Kevin widened his brown eyes, "You most certainly did not! No one could've stopped this but the other driver."

"No, Kevin. I had this bad feeling, like something horrible was going to happen, and every time we drove, it only got worse. I knew it, Kev. I should've said something, maybe he would've stopped or something-oh gosh, I hate myself so much right now," I groaned, a stray tear falling out of my eye. Kevin came to my side and patted my back, shaking his head. "No, no, Mitch. You couldn't have stopped this, even if you told him. Do you really think Scott would've stopped because you had a bad feeling about something? I know he cares, but stopping randomly? That's risking both of your lives anyways. Either way, this was going to happen. Don't beat yourself up for this."