Chapter Three

Chapter Three

I get dressed as quickly as I can. My definition of getting dressed is throwing on an old pair of jeans, sneaker, and my old college hoodie before throwing my hair in a ponytail. I snatch my keys off the counter next to my steaming mug of coffee.

I practically run to my car before locking myself in it. I'm glad it's still cool outside, because all I have is a bra under my hoodie, so I can't exactly take it off if I get warm. I set my GPS for the police station and throw my car in reverse. I nearly run my mailbox over as I speed down Birch St. the sun has barely come up and it blinds me when it does. I pull into the crowded parking lot and slam on my brakes before hitting the bumper. I walk quickly into the police station and numerous conversations hit my ears at once. People bustle around me and in and out of the station, I watch as hookers, drugies, and drunks litter the hallway. And then people like me that are trying to report an incident.

"Can I help you?" asks the African American woman behind the desk.

"Oh, yes." I say stumbling over my words as I reach inside my pocket to pull out the photos.

I managed to get a copy of the one of my tree before I left work yesterday. I unfold the photos and place them on the desk.

"I think someone is stalking me." I say awkwardly "I found this photo at my work, and this morning I found this one with a bunch of flowers. There both of my house, on is even of me, last night!"

The woman looks at the photos as she listens to me.

"It sounds more like a secret admirer than a stalker. Let us know if anything else happens." She says with a fake smile as she hands me the photos. I take them from her aimlessly.

"What? You aren't going to do anything?" I shout.

"Ma'am," she says with a sigh "there isn't enough evidence, just a couple of photos and a bunch of flowers doesn't mean a stalker."

I flip the photo over "But look at this!" I say pointing to the line from Shakespeare.

"Oh great, now your adding poetry to the pot. Can I help who's next please?" she calls out looking behind me. A man shoves me out of the way and stammers on something about cars.

I shove my way through the station and I catch my eye on someone. A young man, maybe my age, dark hair and the pair of most beautiful chocolate brown eyes I have ever seen. He looks right at me before looking away and shoving his way into the station. I throw the photos on my seat and slam my door closed. I am fuming and terrified. And the police won't do anything.

Now you know why so many people never get caught or found.

I throw the car in drive and head to work. I am working in the office today so I don't have to dress up thank heavens.

~~~~~~~~

I called Joel earlier today, he said that he would pick up some Thai take out and spend the night with me. I arrive home and do some cleaning before Joel shows up. "Some" turns more into spring cleaning.

Why would I buy such a huge house if it's just me living in it? Note to self: stop making stupid decisions.

I just put the vacuum away when I hear the familiar knock knock, knock knock, at my door.

I slide the chain open and the dead bolt and the lock on the handle open before unarming my alarm. I let Joel step inside before I slide everything back home and punch in the code that arms my alarm again.

The sweet and spicy aroma of Thai food fills my nose and my stomach growls. I watch Joel snicker and I pull out two Coke's. Joel gives me a condescending look "Really? Coke? It's not even the good kind, it's freaking Cola." He whines as he looks at me with bug eyes.

"Yup, I'd rather be sober if someone tries to break in." I say in a monotone voice.

"Really? What about these guns right here?" he asks lifting up his long sleeve shirt to show me his "guns".

I let out a hysterical laugh "Yeah, no. I think I'd feel safer sleeping with my nine millimeter Beretta under my pillow."

He scowls at me "Low blow, Cochise. Low, blow."

I laugh it off and flip on the TV as I prop my feet up on the couch.

Joel sits down next to me "So you think you have a stalker?" he says looking at the photos on the coffee table beside my feet.

"Yup, cops aren't doing anything about it." I say as I shove Thai food in my mouth.

"That's screwed up." Says Joel.

"Mmhm." I mumble through a mouthful of food.

After watching hours of endless Dr. Who Joel finally falls asleep on the couch. I flip off the TV and I barely manage to brush my teeth.

I trudge into my bedroom and kick my door closed before falling on my bed and passing out.

KI