His phone was vibrating somewhere. He palmed his pocket. Nope. He turned around too fast for his aching head to handle, and he put his hand on the counter for just a second, steadying himself.

"Fuck..." He put his cup down and went into the common.

Not on the coffee table. Not on the mantle by the TV. Not on the floor. In the fucking couch. He shoved his hand between the cushions and yanked his phone out. Of course it was Ashton. Probably calling to yell at him for last night. He answered.

"Yeah, Ash?"

"Hey, Luke." He sounded utterly flat.

Luke's brow furrowed. "What is it?"

"Oh...Mikey managed to burn himself this morning."

"What?"

"He has this cooking class that he takes. He's amazing. He tried to do a flambé."

"Impressive..."

"I know," Ashton said, and Luke could feel the sad smile on his face through the phone. It fell away: "Well...if it had worked out. Anyway, I don't know exactly what's happening. He just texted me once really quick right after it happened. I called the clinic, saying he was missing my class—my weak excuse to call for him. At least they didn't question it. But they say the left side of his face is red and irritated but it's barely first degree. It'll just sting for a while..."

Luke didn't know what to say. "Wow...I guess...you can't go see him, then."

Ashton coughed; it sounded a little like he choked. He sniffed and said, "I didn't think I could. And I'd already lied and said I had class then. What would it look like if a teacher came to personally see a student who wasn't even hurt that bad?" He sighed.

"I suppose you're right," Luke said. "Did they say when he'd be better?"

Ashton didn't answer for a moment. "I should have seen him last n—" He seemed to reconsider.

Luke put his hand to his face. Oh... Now he felt awful. "No. You should have been with him. Blame me. Really. I'm sorry."

"No, that's ridiculous. It's not like he's dead."

"Still. I was...just being an idiot."

"No. It's fine."

"Thank you for being there for me," Luke said softly.

Ashton sniffed again. "You're my best friend. I've known you for nearly a decade."

"Three years away isn't nearly," Luke said, smiling sadly.

"Do you remember our senior debate?"

"Like it was yesterday."

"Well, that was three years ago."

"Oh...wow. Just...thank you."

"It's okay, Luke. He should be out...about now actually. I just—I felt so bad. I wasn't there for him when it happened. I should have been there this morning."

"Ashton, I'm sure he'll understand."

"I know he will. Still..."

"It's better that you didn't go than if you did and you guys were found out."