Hugs and Kisses

As the weeks went by, I settled into a routine that rarely changed. I woke up early, went to the archery range to practice with my throwing knives (and meet with Kyle ) until breakfast. Then, it was time for Ancient Greek with Annabeth and Percy. I had to say, Percy sucked at Ancient Greek. I was better than him, and that was just sad. I told him that one day and he was not impressed. After Ancient Greek, it was fighting time. Annabeth was the best teacher I could have asked for. She was patient and skilled; under her, I quickly became one of the best fighters at camp. (still below Annabeth and Percy but third was good enough for me.)

Riding the Pegasi quickly became one of my favorite activities. I normally rode until lunch. Chiron then thought it necessary that I learn about Greek Mythology although I told him that I knew everything that I needed to know. After learning about that for about an hour, I finally had some free time. I usually spent it with Kyle. Lately, I found myself thinking about Kyle quite often. When I asked my friends Lacy and Mitchell (because I would never willingly befriend Drew) about this, Lacy giggled and said, "Oh, it's so obvious you've got a crush. I think Kyle likes you too. It's so cute!" I covered my ears. Lacy seemed to have inherited her mother's signature squeal. Speaking about friends, I had quite a lot of them. After they got over their short period of wanting to staying 10 feet away from me at all times, the camp warmed up to me quickly. Katie Gardner was one of the first ones to talk to me after the whole waking up fight fiasco. Then, Lacy and Mitchell. Then, the Apollo cabin. (because of my friendship with Kyle ) Then the Athena cabin. (because of Annabeth and because apparently, I was "a strategist".) Of course, the Ares cabin still hated me. But I could deal with that. I had just left the Aphrodite cabin and was on my way to watch Kyle 's sword fighting lesson. As Apollo's kid, he would mostly use archery but he told me, "I don't want to rely on only one thing. Maybe I'll be good at sword fighting, who knows?"

So there I was, watching Kyle slash dummies and Percy giving pointers. Finally, after what seemed like forever, Percy called for a break. I ran over to Kyle and hugged him. I didn't really know why I did it. It just happened. Kyle seemed surprised but after hesitating for a few seconds, he hugged me back. Percy coughed loudly, him being the spoilsport that he is. We both jumped and I quickly let go. I laughed. "Take a shower, Sunshine. You stink!" Holding my nose, I walked away.

Kyle yelled at my retreating back. "Sunshine makes me sound like a girl!"

Capture the Flag was a joke nowadays. Our team always won. Partly because of Percy and I, but also because of Annabeth. Ever since they started officially dating, the Athena cabin was always in our team and put together Annabeth's awesome strategies and Percy and I (nicknamed "the brain and the brawn" and we constantly fought over which of us was the brain, which I thought would be pretty obvious) and you got an unstoppable force. After another short game that we won (obviously), we all headed to the campfire for our sing-along. Everybody was in good spirits and the fire turned golden and rose to over 20 feet. The sound of out of tune singing filled the air. I tuned everything out and focused on eating my s'mores until Chiron came in front of us.

"Now now campers, it's time for you all to go to your cabins." As everybody started to rush out, he added, "Slowly now." I got up and was about to walk to the cabin when somebody grabbed my arm. I whirled around only to relax when it was only Kyle .

"What do you want?" I asked, a bit crossly. I was tired and all I wanted to do was sleep.

Kyle didn't look at me. "Tomorrow morning, can you meet me at the woods?"

I narrowed my eyes. "This isn't going to be like you trying to kill me with a poison scorpion now is it?" I was joking but Kyle apparently didn't know that because his eyes widened.

"N-no, nothing like that!"

"Relax, Kyle. I was joking!" I pat him on the back. "And yeah, I'll go."

***

The next morning, I woke up quietly. Putting on my normal outfit of my orange t-shirt and shorts, I jogged to the edge of the woods. Kyle was there waiting for me. "So um, let's go." He took my hand and led me to a clearing. It was a beautiful day. The sky was blue and there were few clouds. I sat down on the ground with Kyle, who thankfully brought Coke. I raised my eyebrows at him. "Are you sure you're not going to stab me in the back? Because this is seriously setting itself up."

"Oh shut up already and drink your Coke." Kyle grumbled. "I got the Coke by bribing a Hermes camper."

"A Hermes camper allowed himself to be bribed. Wow, that's a rare occurrence. What did you do?"

"That camper might have been Travis and I might have told him I would introduce him to Katie." He grinned. "You don't know how fast he handed me the Cokes."

I took a swig from the can. "Well, you can tell him thank you for the soda."

"Yeah I will."

Kyle slowly started leaning in. My mind went blank. Our lips touched and I could hear my heart pounding. We pulled closer. I could feel his arms around me and I realized with a start that I had my arms around him too. I could smell his deodorant, a fresh minty scent. His lips felt soft against mine and I tasted the slightest bit of Coke. It was a sweet kiss and I was sorry when it ended. Kyle immediately blushed. "Umm so..."

"That is not good manners Kyle Reed!" I nearly broke down laughing when I saw his bewildered face. "You can't just kiss me before you ask me out. It's just not right." I wagged a finger in his face.

Kyle's face cleared and a smirk appeared on his face. "Oh so you want me to ask you out." He said.

"So what if I do." I retorted back.

Kyle burst out laughing. "Hope Foster, will you do me the honor of being my girlfriend?" With all his bravado, still, I could tell he was scared. Scared of my answer. I went in for a quick peck and I said, "Of course." Kyle sighed with relief. It was then that I heard a squeal. A squeal that sounded suspiciously like Lacy. I quickly got up and started running. Kyle got up too.

"What's wrong?"

"If Lacy gets out of these woods, then we're both screwed." I answered.

"Oh skiddles." We both ran as fast as we could but we were too late. Kyle and I burst out of the woods to hear Lacy yell as loud as she could, "Kyle and Hope kissed, guys! The ship has sailed!"

I ran over to Lacy and tried to shut her up before her screeching could wake up Percy, hoping that he was still asleep, but my hopes evaporated when I saw him come out of our cabin with a scary look on his face.

The only thought running through my head? I. Am. Screwed.

>>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

VOTE!

COMMENT!

FOLLOW!

SHARE!