Chapter 48 - Look At The Facts

Start from the beginning

"Thomas and Molly," She cried, "It was all a lie."

Once we'd gotten Taylor to calm down, and we'd cleaned up the blood from her face, she sat down and told us what had happened. She told us how she argued with Thomas over what had happened last night, and that he had denied it from the beginning. She explained what had happened after that, and how it had been brought up about Thomas' relationship with Molly.

"And then he told me that it never happened," She whispered, wringing her hands together in her lap, "He said that when I'd left for New York, he went and confronted Molly about it. She denied it with a laugh, and Thomas decided to come and find me out in New York."

"Oh yeah, I remember him asking me where you'd gone," Dylan nodded distantly. I rolled my eyes at him and turned back to Taylor.

"Then why didn't you forgive him there and then?" I asked calmly.

"Because he never spoke to me," She sighed deeply, "Apparently, when he got to my work he saw me walking down the front steps with Ben."

"Oh," I said in a small voice, looking up at Dylan for support. He furrowed his eyebrows, but his expression was vacant.

"So that's when he met Bella," He said slowly, "I remember when he came back to work he was heartbroken, and I couldn't tell why. He never went out with any other girls, or never even mentioned you to be honest. But then after about two years, he met Bella and things just kinda worked out for him."

"Dylan!" I hissed, glaring at him. He looked apologetically at Taylor, but she just shrugged.

"Hey, there's nothing I can do about it now," She breathed, "Instead I just feel like the last four years of my life have all been a waste."

"What do you mean? Surely not everything about these four years has been a waste?" I was clearly talking about myself, and Taylor let out a small laugh.

"Okay, meeting you was the highlight of the last four years," She smiled, receiving a proud grin from me, "But I just feel like all the while I thought Thomas had cheated on me, I could have been with him."

"Hm," I mumbled, looking down at my lap as my pride disappeared, "But what about Ben? Weren't you happy with him?"

"Of course I was happy with Ben! I loved him, and I love him still! But, well I wasn't as happy with Ben as I was with-"

"Thomas," I finished, smiling sympathetically at her.

"Yeah. Thomas and I just had this bond. We had become the best of friends from when I'd first become his flat mate, and I just felt comfortable with him. Whereas with Ben, I feel like I'm having to act for him. Like, I'm not myself around him."

"Yeah, I know what you mean," I nodded, "And I can see it too." From the puzzled look she gave me, I sighed.

"Taylor, it's been pretty obvious from the start that you and Ben have never truly, um what's the word. Fitted, if you know what I mean. You were never truly happy whenever you were talking about Ben, and I never really liked him all that much."

"Funnily enough I gathered that when you said you'd kick him off an aeroplane!" She laughed.

"What?" Dylan scoffed from behind me, "You actually said that?"

"What can I say? I'm just an amazingly supportive friend!" I grinned, placing a hand over my chest.

"Bloody hell, I know not to ever get on your bad side then!" Dylan smirked. But the smirk soon disappeared from his face when I hit him with the cushion I'd thrown at him earlier.

"Anyways," I continued, turning back around in my seat, "As I was saying, before I was rudely interrupted by Tweedle-Dum behind me, I honestly think that you're better off without him, Tay. Ben isn't the one you're meant to be with, and if you ask me, I think you know that too." Taylor let out a tired sigh and looked down into her lap.

"What about Thomas?" Dylan spoke up.

"What?" Taylor looked up at him, sounding shocked.

"You and Thomas," Dylan repeated, "Oh come on Taylor, it's obvious isn't it? You said it yourself that you're most comfortable around him, and if I didn't know any better, I'd say that it's Thomas you're meant to be with."

"But Dylan-"

"Look at the facts. Number one, Thomas has always been there for you. Okay, despite the fact that you thought he'd cheated on you for three years. But let's not get into that again. Number two, you both clearly have a strong connection. He won't ever let you out of his sight, and you always seem to be more like yourself when he's around. And number three, even Ben's sensed that there was a connection between you and Thomas. Otherwise he wouldn't have been so jealous when you kept spending time with him." Silence followed, and I looked up at Dylan with an impressed expression. He just bowed before getting up from his seat.

"Right, well if I keep talking to you girls about love I'm going to feel queasy inside, so if you do not mind, I am going to go and take whatever dignity I have of myself left, and go home. I really need to change out of these clothes."

"Ugh, trust you to actually say something that's helpful and then just chicken out!" I laughed, watching him as he left for the bathroom. He just winked at me and blew me a kiss.

"He's such a weirdo," I smirked, looking back at Taylor. She was looking distantly at the window and her breathing was deep. She does that a lot when she's concentrating.

"Well, I might as well get packed up," I added, pulling myself up onto my feet, "After all, I've got a plane to catch!"

"Oh God, I'd completely forgotten about that!" Taylor exclaimed, looking panicked. Of course, my best friend just happened to forget when her best friend was going home. Typical, but then again she hasn't had exactly the easiest Christmas.

"When am I driving you to the airport?"

"Um, seven in the morning," I replied after having quickly counted the hours by on my fingers, "So let's not stay up too late tonight then, eh? Want to make sure I actually get to the airport on time!"

"Hey, that was as much your fault as it was mine!" She laughed, getting up to help me. Sure it was, Tay. Sure it was.