"Are you going to wear that?" She places a hand on her hips with a harsh glint in her eyes. Her little form taking on a grown, angry woman stance is too funny. I resist a smile and stand up.

"I'll change."

"Good." She nods once and then proceeds to run up the stairs with joyful sings and squeals. Mum's light chuckle reaches my ears and I walk over to give her a hug. I then slide onto a barstool to watch her bake her famous cookies. Dad once tried to help, but we ended up having to call the firefighters and an ambulance. So whenever she bakes now, he stays away from the kitchen. 

"Remind me how old Mary is again," I question, sliding my finger in circles across the smooth counter's marble surface. "She's been spending too much time with you, Mum," I add sarcastically, giving her an honest smile when she sends me a pointed glance.

"You're both to be back home latest at eight o'clock okay? Sharp," she orders, stirring the wooden spoon around in the cookie dough. I roll my eyes but nod, sticking some of the dough from the sides of the bowl onto my finger and eating it up. She shakes her head at me with entertainment as I head out of the kitchen and start making my way upstairs, grabbing my bag on the way.

Homework here I come. Oh, joy

·

A snort or something that sounds like a grunt escapes my lips as my chin slips from my bent palms and hits the open maths book underneath. I lift my head back up with a groan, looking around with confusion. I'm in my bedroom, with a mountain of books and stationary spread around the desk and overlapping onto the floor. I fell asleep, didn't I.

It wouldn't surprise me, since I never get any sleep at night anyway because of - well, you know

I catch a glimpse of the time that flashes on my phone screen and read 5:24 PM. I've been home for two and a half hours but only half of the homework due has been completed. 

Bad, bad Camilla.

"CAMI?" Mary runs into my room and pulls me from my chair, forcing me to stand up rather groggily. "Are we going now," she asks with a small, whiny and impatient noise. She then blinks at the mass of open books but chooses to ignore them, looking back up at me instead. I guess it's a surprise for her little evolving brain to process because I've always been the type of person to do all of my homework the day that I get it. I guess I've been too preoccupied lately to really pay any attention to my usual schedule. "Are we going," she asks again more insistently, tugging at the long sleeve of my top. 

"Sure, let me just grab my jacket and we can go." I peck her on the top of her head and ruffle her golden hair, much to her annoyance, as she pulls a funny face. I respond with my own grimace. It ends with a tickling battle on the floor and squeals and screams fill the house. 

"What's going-" Mum stops in the threshold and looks at the books, then at me, with a very harsh look in her eyes. "What is that, Camilla?" I sigh and stand up, shoving Mary gently towards the door and watching her disappear quickly with envy. Escaped to freedom. I raise my gaze to meet Mum's stern eyes. Oh no. 

"I've just had a lot on my mind lately," I mutter, rubbing my arm slightly and inwardly cringing at the horrible, lame excuse. She picks up on the nervous gestures and a disapproving scowl settles on her face. 

"What is going on with you, Camilla? You've always been a great student. Are you planning on changing that and jeopardising your future? Is this because of a boy?" 

"It's just one night Mum, it's not the end of the world," I snap back, much harsher than expected. I cover my mouth with shock as her eyes narrow. Her temple actually twitches, but she keeps hold of the reins and nods towards the mess on the guess.