chapter fifteen. {melanie}

One week. 168 complete hours of not talking to Harry. I wasn't being childish or ignorant; I just needed time to think. He invaded a very personal and mental part of myself and this was the only way to react; to shut him out.

Maybe I should've reacted this way, maybe I shouldn't have, but what's done is done. After some time away from Harry, I was able to let it go and accept it. He tried calling me several times the first day and on the second day he stopped by the house, but Riley kindly shooed him away. He seemed to have gotten the hint after that. Except on the fourth day, he called me again. Sending him to voicemail, he left a message that almost tore my heart to pieces. He confessed what he did the night of his birthday party and I couldn't help but burst into a million tears. I was heartbroken.

How could I be with him anymore?

I pondered on the future of our relationship for a couple of days.

On the eighth day, I built up the courage to finally talk to him. I knew that if I called him, I would hang up the moment I heard his voice, or worse, cry my eyes out again.

I took a deep breath and adjusted my coat so that the top covered a little bit more of my neck. The bruises had faded, but small splotches of red still besmirched my skin. Slowly, I raised my hand up to the door, but before I could wrap my knuckles against the wood, the door was pulled open.

"Thank you so much, Harry. I really appreciate it." The same venomous voice I came to despise in my years in secondary school spoke. I took a step back as Felicity walked through the door.

"Oh, dear," She exclaimed, laughing. Her eyes were pink and puffy, similar to the way mine were just yesterday. "How are you, Melo. . .Melanie?" It took her awhile to remember my name.

"I'm wonderful." My mood had suddenly shifted. Of fucking course, I thought. I had reverted to thinking of Harry as someone less than who he actually was. Had he hopped onto the next girl already? I gulped and watched Felicity get into her car and drive off. I hadn't noticed it parked in front of his flat because I was too consumed by my thoughts.

"Melanie." Harry said, surprised. His eyes grew wide as mine started to well up with tears. I was in the most fragile state I'd ever been in and to see Felicity walk out of his flat crushed me.

"It's not what it looks like." He stated as I began to move away from his house. I had immediately decided that I needed another week, possibly even two, to think about this.

"I. . .I," I was at a loss for words. Shaking my head, I turned around and quickly made my way to the sidewalk.

"Mel, wait." Harry shouted behind me, but I didn't stop. A door slammed and heavy steps trailed behind.

"Melanie!" He yelled again. This time he halted me to a stop by running in front of me and grabbing my right arm. Every muscle in my body wanted to pull away, but for some reason I didn't. I wanted so badly for Harry to explain himself, to take away any of the insecurities that were creeping into my mind.

"I swear, Mel, it wasn't what it looked like." He huffed.

"What was it then?" It was like a scene right out of those cliche movies Cassidy watched with my father.

"She just came over for . . ." He started, but fizzled out.

"For what?" I whispered, not wanting to raise my voice.

"Look, it's personal. She just wanted to talk." He furrowed his eyebrows as he tried to explain. It was a lousy explanation.

"Just wanted to talk." I muttered and pulled my arm away. Pushing past Harry I made my way back to my house.